100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
Done.

Sully

Über Member
I have just done something silly ....
This morning, I got home earlier than expected from my part-time job and thought 'what the heck' and stuck the aero bars on the #1 bike. As I did so, I ate a couple of large slices of flapjack and prepared a bottle of energy drink and one of plain water.
I did about three miles of warm-up and then put the hammer down - straight into the teeth of quite a headwind.
At about 25 miles the dopamine rush kicked in and the ride became, if not truly enjoyable, at little easier to bear.
At about 33 miles I became conscious of the fact that I was probably a little spaced-out and becoming a little reckless.
At exactly 40 miles, I stopped, rammed the single slice of flapjack I'd brought with me down my throat, finished off the remains of my one energy drink and the water.
At about 2 miles into my recovery ride home I bonked - big time. I figure if this had happened while I'd been pushing, I'd probably would have crashed.
I have spent most of the afternoon kipping on a swing seat in the garden.
For someone who endeavours to try not to do stupid things, I achieved exactly that, today. But the positives? While it is extremely doubtful whether I'd attempt a solo 100 miles at those sort of speeds (even with far better preparation), and I'm learning that this sort of pushing the limits probably has a limited amount of enjoyment for me, I'd still be up for attempting it with a few people to occasionally rest behind if the opportunity arises.

My time, today? 2hrs exactly. ^_^
Ive been there and Bonked big time on a 80 mile solo ride up into the peak district, the first time and Ive got to say, I thought something very bad was happening to me, frightening experience !

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Only done 1 100 miler and it took over 5 hrs, would love to see me doing it under 5 hrs but I would be pushing myself to extremes. Also depends on elevation, if purely flat it could be doable for me ?

uclown2002

Guru
Only done 1 100 miler and it took over 5 hrs, would love to see me doing it under 5 hrs but I would be pushing myself to extremes. Also depends on elevation, if purely flat it could be doable for me ?
I couldn't do it door to door, living where I do, so I had to find a flatter route to do it. IIRC about 2500 m of elevation.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You must be super fit though with the mileage you do! What is holding you back?

I'm not super fit and I never push myself when out on the bike, I just go out to enjoy myself not to knacker myself out.

Oh and I should add I am just slow!

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Added to which, speed kills as you get older. I'm 55 and find it much easier to average 16-17 mph for 50 odd miles rather than 20 mph for 10 miles; plus there's a inverse proportion thingy going on, which I don't really understand, meaning you have to work soooo much harder just to eek out another 1mph on that average.

That's why, as I've mentioned before, the best way for us mere mortals to achieve 100 miles in under 5 hrs is to catch a lift on the back of a fast group and let them drag you round!

Toffee15

Hi all, new member here. I was inspired by this post and decided to have a go yesterday. The 100 miles took me 4 hours 55 mins and 2 secs! It was without doubt the hardest thing I have ever done, both physically and mentally. It was a flat route, up and down the coast with an 8mph headwind on the way out that somehow moved to being a crosswind on the way home. The hardest part was around 70 miles when I knew I was on course to do it but I couldn't ease off. The heat didn't help either and my cycling tan looks ridiculous today! Good luck to anyone else who attempts it. It was really hard but the satisfaction was worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well done do you have a link to the route. Strava ? Under 5 hrs is fast !! No way could I hold 20mph round my way for a 100 miles. I Toil to keep it at 19mph for a 40 mile loop on my circuit.

Top Bottom