100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Last shot (this season) at going under 4 hours today, so I may just achieve obliteration some time around 15:30 this afternoon!

I hope 3 hours sleep is enough to see me though because I couldn't sleep last night, otherwise I think I am well prepared, just hoping I have the legs this time out, don't want a repeat of the National 100, still gutted about that implosion and missing out on the top 10!
Rip it up Rob! All the best chap.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Last shot (this season) at going under 4 hours today,
Will rather obliterate the target set by the OP if you succeed, but power to your legs! :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
3:48:03 (26.3 mph average)

Ended up riding a spare rear wheel (ADR 80mm deep carbon clincher ) instead of my disc wheel as my disc appeared to have a slow puncture when I got to the race :sad: That will have cost a bit and it did mentally affect me, knowing I was racing on a slower wheel. In the last 40 miles I suffered with numb junk and some bad chaffing meaning I had to sit up a fair bit too.

Mixed feelings, goal achieved but relative performance not the best. Will post more detail later, on the way home atm, in a bit of a daze.

Thanks to @totallyfixed And @dr_pink for the cheers.

Last edited:
Thread revival. This all appears to be getting too easy for some of you so the next challenge is to average a minimum 20 mph over 12 hours. This should prove interesting, you will need support.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hey - let the rest of us catch up first! :thumbsup:

There is a big difference between 20 mph for 5 hours, which is potentially doable for a lot of riders, and 20 mph for 12 hours, which probably is not! I reckon your challenge should be in its own new thread.

It was a bit tongue in cheek, as for a lot of riders averaging 20 mph for 100 miles, I doubt it. The weather and terrain are critically important whenever these kind of challenges are attempted and of course we only have the riders word for it if they are not in a race, not that I would doubt the truth of whatever is said on Cycle Chat. Just popping over to the helmet debate.....................

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was a bit tongue in cheek, as for a lot of riders averaging 20 mph for 100 miles, I doubt it. The weather and terrain are critically important whenever these kind of challenges are attempted and of course we only have the riders word for it if they are not in a race, not that I would doubt the truth of whatever is said on Cycle Chat. Just popping over to the helmet debate.....................
I did use the weasel word 'potentially'! :thumbsup:

I would be very happy to do a 5 hour century but I think the chances of it are receding now. I am still getting fitter, but my rate of progress seems to be only about 25% of what it would have been 3 or 4 years ago, pre-illness. I have done over 3,500 hilly miles so far this year but am still lacking any real 'oomph'. I used to get pretty fit on much less work than that, but my lungs are still holding me back. Never mind - as long as I feel that I am getting better, I don't care how long it takes.

I'll forget about 5 hours until I have managed 6 hours again - it is many years since I even managed that time!

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
I thought I'd best resurrect this thread for 2015. Having failed miserably last year, this is very much on my agenda for 2015.

Hopefully I will get the opportunity to try it a little earlier in the year and conditions, including my personal fitness, will be more favourable this year.

I am currently working on short distance pace and hopefully will get back to last years peak soon and then I will combine that with some distance work. Maybe a first attempt in May or early June...

Top Bottom