100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Better ride an extra 10 just to make sure ;)

I never trust any mapping software to come up with an accurate distance, hence the extra couple of miles. Also hoping Strava has calculated the elevation wrong - ride with GPS puts the climbing at a more appetising 1259m (4130 feet). This is a huge difference of 631 m (2070) between Strava and RWGPS.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
So I did the 100 mile in 5 hour attempt this morning, and was successful! Normal bike, no aero adaptations.

Link to Strava

In the end I did 176km (109.4 miles) in 5h10min at an average of 34 kph (21.1 mph). My Garmin decided not to record around 12.4km of data during the 3rd lake loop and Strava calculated my average speed without including this, giving me an average of 32.7kph over 169km, whereas in reality if was 34 kph over 176km. No idea how Strava calculated this distance as my Garmin recorded 164km...

I'm glad I noticed it had stopped recording, but gutted some of the data was missing. The original route was around 100 miles exactly, and without this missing data, it would have looked like I hadn't completed the distance. So I decided to add some more miles to my route (tough decision at the time), turning back on myself, to make sure my Garmin recorded over 100 miles. Final recorded distance was 163.7 km @34.3kph (see attached Garmin screenshot), but as I say it was actually 176km @ 34kph.

Final climb to home was an absolute killer!!

Attachments

• Data 100mile-bmp.jpg
    Data 100mile-bmp.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 54

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
That's a great effort Herzog! Reckon I could keep up that kinda speed for about 25-30 miles before collapsing in a heap.
Well done!

uclown2002

Guru
Outstanding effort! :thumbsup:

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Thanks for comments and likes! @Jon George, yes I did have some cracking scenery but didn't really take it in. After living here for 5 years I sort of become "blind" to it...

Pacing was an interesting one, I was aware that I didn't want to set off too quickly and held back a little bit, never really giving it full beans. Went a bit harder 1st time round the lake, but felt OK.

I've now got a lot more respect for the TTers here who can do that sort of distance in 3.5h!!

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Thread update:
I had a ride out on Sunday where although I wasn't targeting 5 hrs it was in my mind. Frustratingly if I'd of had a bit more concentration I reckon I'd of been close. Ended up posting the century in 5:08 so @ 19.49mph average. This speed dropped over the final miles meaning the 112 miles were complete in 5:58, 19mph average, to be fair to my legs the last 12 mile was mostly climbing. The ride had almost 4000ft of climbing in total so not particularly hilly and a good course for me to have another blast on in a few weeks time.

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
I clocked a 19mph over 102 miles on Sunday but it was rather windy so I knew I would struggle to get close to a 20+ave. even before I started. Was 'on-target' until over 60 miles, but then there was even more headwind on the way back. Not having any food at one of the food stops didn't help either :angry:

Am now hoping for lower winds on my next possibility in early Oct.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Last shot (this season) at going under 4 hours today, so I may just achieve obliteration some time around 15:30 this afternoon!

I hope 3 hours sleep is enough to see me though because I couldn't sleep last night, otherwise I think I am well prepared, just hoping I have the legs this time out, don't want a repeat of the National 100, still gutted about that implosion and missing out on the top 10!

Last edited:

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Last shot (this season) at going under 4 hours today, so I may just achieve obliteration some time around 15:30 this afternoon!

I hope 3 hours sleep is enough to see me though because I couldn't sleep last night, otherwise I think I am well prepared, just hoping I have the legs this time out, don't want a repeat of the National 100, still gutted about that implosion and missing out on the top 10!

Good luck - what TT course?

Top Bottom