100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bit of a Laurens Ten Dam look going on there Rob

1400254-bigthumbnail.jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Minus the drool (at the time the picture was taken) :tongue:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
@totallyfixed is the National 100 course a quicker course? I am having a dilemma, I just realised it is the day after a 25 I was going to ride, so my options are skip the 25 and do the 100 for a sub-4 hour time or, ride the 25 and act as helper for my partner in the National 100, DNS'ing my entry. Or I could ride both, like a maniac! Neil Skellern did the BDCA 50 on Sat and the M&DTTA 100 yesterday, he is a legend, such a nice bloke too!

Can't wait for the BDCA 100! I know you hate those kind of courses (I don't) but I am keen to see what I can do on a course like that, might have my eye on a club record to aim for next season :tongue:

Last edited:

50000tears

Rob obviously totallyfixed is better placed to answer this but don't you compromise both rides by trying to do both? If you fully commit to the 25 then it will be hard to carry form into the 100 with the fatigue, and if you hold back on the 25 to save a bit then both times might end up being sub-optimal.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Rob obviously totallyfixed is better placed to answer this but don't you compromise both rides by trying to do both? If you fully commit to the 25 then it will be hard to carry form into the 100 with the fatigue, and if you hold back on the 25 to save a bit then both times might end up being sub-optimal.

Yes, but depending on objectives and the extent of the compromise, it may be acceptable, it also depends on the preparation and how you manage recovery overnight. IMO, the detriment to the 100 wouldn't be much, detriment to a 10 would be more notable as IME (and as often documented) fatigue dulls your high end efforts but has a much less pronounced effect on vastly sub-maximal efforts (which a hundred is, it's basically a long tempo ride).

However, looks like I'll focus on the National 100 as I couldn't be bothered to walk to the PO to post my entry for the 25 yesterday.

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Easily under 4 hours in the BDCA event in August unless conditions are atrocious. I recon <3:50:00 on there on the same power as this weekend.

Club record is 3:34:57 stood since 1988, long term goal... 1st, need to go under 3:40:00 to get on the all time fastest list, hah! The 12HR record (274.86 miles ) looks achievable medium term, but that wouldn't be very enjoyable!

Someone want to fund time in the wind tunnel? :tongue:

Last edited:

jarlrmai

Veteran
I'll give you a few quid towards a razor.

@totallyfixed is the National 100 course a quicker course? I am having a dilemma, I just realised it is the day after a 25 I was going to ride, so my options are skip the 25 and do the 100 for a sub-4 hour time or, ride the 25 and act as helper for my partner in the National 100, DNS'ing my entry. Or I could ride both, like a maniac! Neil Skellern did the BDCA 50 on Sat and the M&DTTA 100 yesterday, he is a legend, such a nice bloke too!

Can't wait for the BDCA 100! I know you hate those kind of courses (I don't) but I am keen to see what I can do on a course like that, might have my eye on a club record to aim for next season :tongue:
As it happens I know this area well, I used to live [for my sins] in that part of the world. I would say that the course has the potential to be 5 or 6 mins quicker than the J course, mainly because there are fewer turns & roundabouts. It is overall more rolling and slightly "draggy" in places, however as you know the faster you are the less it affects your time, it will be the middle markers and tail enders that will suffer the most. Much will depend on the road surface [and weather], I have heard that one section is a bit rough but I know other parts are good and will be quick, we will be going over to spend a day riding the course sometime before the race, will report back then.
Not sure what the organiser is up to, Steve is a friend of ours and not even received the prize money from the North Norfolk 100 back in May, don't want to hassle him as you never know what is going on behind the scenes. Still pleased with dr_pink's efforts on Sunday, 1 week of hard training to try and fit in somewhere, we don't eat dinner these days until after 9pm at the earliest!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just ran some estimations for the National 100TT, for the same power as in the M&DTTA at the weekend, I should do 03:55:50 +/- 00:01:46 (based on the current weather forecast which is bound to change between now and then of course). This is in line with @totallyfixed comment re. the Nationals course being 5-6 mins quicker, which is a good sanity check!

Better power only improves things of course and I am hoping to squeeze out an extra 5W!

Last edited:

uclown2002

Guru
Just ran some estimations for the National 100TT, for the same power as in the M&DTTA at the weekend, I should do 03:55:50 +/- 00:01:46 (based on the current weather forecast which is bound to change between now and then of course). This is in line with @totallyfixed comment re. the Nationals course being 5-6 mins quicker, which is a good sanity check!

Better power only improves things of course and I am hoping to squeeze out an extra 5W!

Well good luck!
How do you pace yourself for such a distance? HR? Power? Something else?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I pace using a combination of power and feel, I have loads of data for 10's and 25's, so I made an estimate what I could do for a 50, and it worked pretty good so I used the same approach to the 100 and it worked well again. The only mistake I made in the 100 I think was being a little too conservative at the start, thinking it would pay to be conservative and I would be able to drag some speed back at the end if I finished strong rather than fading, the reality was, I couldn't pick it up enough at the end to go under 4 hours.

BTW, the algorithm used to generate the Nationals finish time estimation, when run on the 100TT I did last Sunday predicted 03:59:33. So it predicted within 2 minutes of the actual time (that's <1% error)! Run on various sets of 25TT data I am seeing errors typically of <20 seconds again <1% error.

Just for a bit of fun I have just run it for tomorrows 25 mile TT based on tomorrows weather forecast (and assuming my power output is 360W, I might fail to realise that but that is my target power) and the estimation is 55:26 +/- 24 seconds. I'll report back tomorrow what the actual time was. I will also re-run the estimator after the event with the actual weather data, rather than forecast data to see how well that works :smile:#

Note: The algorithm is not mine, i.e. I didn't create it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom