100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Good luck Rob. I certainly wouldn't fancy a double dose of "considerable saddle discomfort" so I hope you manage to come up with an answer to that particular problem!

My mate owns a bike shop, I'll have his full range of test saddles in my house over the coming days if need be! Also got some saddles on order from various online shops which I'll try with strategicaly placed lecky tape to ensure they can be returned in as new condition :tongue:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
considerable saddle discomfort, hoping the latter can be solved by Sunday.

I have to say that playing around with saddle selection with just a week to go sounds a bit on the limit, but with speeds I can only ever fantasise about, you seem to know what you're doing. Chapeau!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Did this last year. 102 miles round the fens at 20.5mph in 5hrs2mins. I did it on my TT bike in a lightly windy day and by the end of it I felt totally drained. Riding for 5hrs on a TT bike is NOT recommended...I felt like a folded deck chain afterwards for about 3 days. OUCH.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have to say that playing around with saddle selection with just a week to go sounds a bit on the limit, but with speeds I can only ever fantasise about, you seem to know what you're doing. Chapeau!

I didn't have a choice tbh, otherwise I wouldn't. Stuck between a rock and a hard place really. My trusty saddle recently degraded and went soft on the nose, spreading out and chaffing my inner thigh's. As such I could either choose to ride this knowing I will chafe very badly, or I can try a new saddle. This weekend I tried a new saddle, the chaffing was reduced greatly, but my sit bones felt pummelled!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Couldn't you just buy a new saddle of the tried and tested 'trusty' type?

The saddles I am trying are of the same ilk, ISM Adamo or similar "noseless"/"split-nose" designs, but slightly different variants which seem to offer legitimate benefits over the original, which I was using, before it degraded. Especially in terms of being able to move around a little bit more, the old saddle had very little scope to move around, which is something that would be desirable in a distance event!

Not wishing to rub it in, but my better half did 100 miles in 4 hrs 43 mins yesterday on a very rolling course in the heat. In fact, if she hadn't had a mechanical it would have been much quicker as she was banging out consecutive 27 min 10's at well below maximum effort.:whistle:.

My :ohmy::evil::eek::excl: is so big it affects the tide when I :hyper:

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Another century chalked up but way off this challenge. 112 miles @ 17.47 av mph. I guess the 6500ft of climbing didn't help and I didn't have as much fluid as I'd of liked, but all excuses aside I was still a long way off. Thought I'd be able to do this challenge but now I'm not so sure. Need some inspiration from somewhere for another crack at it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another century chalked up but way off this challenge. 112 miles @ 17.47 av mph. I guess the 6500ft of climbing didn't help and I didn't have as much fluid as I'd of liked, but all excuses aside I was still a long way off. Thought I'd be able to do this challenge but now I'm not so sure. Need some inspiration from somewhere for another crack at it.
You did a hilly 112 at 17.5 mph ... I reckon you would have no problem doing a flat century at 20 mph - well done!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Course map ahead of Sunday's 100 mile TT: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5124848

Had some good advice, prepping my bike today, made some inroads on my saddle issues, although no full resolution, but an improvement at least. Still riding unsupported, could do with a helper to hand up bottles tbh, so I don't have to cart 3 litres of water up "The Viaduct" but alas my partner is away road racing that day so, 3 on the bike and a couple in the neutral feed it is!

Not sure which helmet or skinsuit to wear though! Will be keeping an eye on the forecast and will probably take all options with me and decide once there.

Course map ahead of Sunday's 100 mile TT: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5124848

Had some good advice, prepping my bike today, made some inroads on my saddle issues, although no full resolution, but an improvement at least. Still riding unsupported, could do with a helper to hand up bottles tbh, so I don't have to cart 3 litres of water up "The Viaduct" but alas my partner is away road racing that day so, 3 on the bike and a couple in the neutral feed it is!

Not sure which helmet or skinsuit to wear though! Will be keeping an eye on the forecast and will probably take all options with me and decide once there.
I would offer to hand you a bottle up except you are off a long time after dr_pink, however if you have a spare bottle you could give it to me as an emergency for somewhere on the course. Definitely not about times, more about comparisons with your peers, this is NOT a fast course. This is already dr_pink's 5th 100 so we have it fairly much sorted, the decision I am still mulling over is whether to stay with the 404's or put the disc on, not sure yet, will decide after course recce tomorrow.
BTW, the number of competitors that pace it wrong and suffer at @80 miles are too many to count :smile:. Good luck and will see you there somewhere.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am riding for 2 reasons, Cheshire Points and to hopefully get a fast enough time good enough to get a ride on a fast 100TT course later in the year (chasing the clubs Middle distance BAR comp, 25/50/100)!

It is certainly not a fast course no, the normal course is not a fast course either, but not so gnarly that it is mega slow either, a sub-4 hr ride on the normal course would not have been out of the question based on my data (given my data mostly comes from riding those roads it is pretty good at predicting outcomes).

FWIW, I'd ride the disc. Always ride the disc :tongue:

BTW, I'll pm you tonight about an emergency bottle, currently planning what bottles I'll need etc. Might leave one with you, with a gel attached with an elastic band if that's okay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom