100 miles in 5 hours challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
In definitely up for this challenge this year. When, I don't know, I don't think I'll plan it too much, just go for a rasp about on a nice sunny day.

MickeyBlueEyes

Did my first Imperial century of the year this morning, and with it completed this challenge. I actually ended up doing almost a 121 miler, I got to 100 miles in under 4:50 so had a bit in the bag.

ton up 1.JPG

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I did what was for me a fast 50 miles a few weeks ago and couldn't average more than 18mph. When I looked back at the analysis, where I lost a lot of time was having to stop or slow down at junctions & traffic lights (obviously right turns I have to stop completely), stopping for roadworks and through towns my speed dropped massively. Not saying I could do 20mph average but it seems the route has a significant effect

How do you 100 mile in 5 hours supermen accommodate this? Design a route with as few junctions, towns etc as possible?

MickeyBlueEyes

How do you 100 mile in 5 hours supermen accommodate this? Design a route with as few junctions, towns etc as possible?

That's kind if part of it. I'm not a huge fan of riding through towns and 'white' country roads for something like this, triple figure A & B roads are where I ride most. There's a lot of inputs, fitness obviously and the ability to maintain a pace mile in mile out, not a short burst for 5/10 miles then slow down for a few miles then have another burst. Much better to get in a rhythm and stay there.
I'm not saying its easy, I've progressed loads this last year. So much so I felt good enough to go out and do a 51 miler on the way to work this morning at just under 21mph average, even after yesterday's ride.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You're right about traffic lights and junctions. They will kill your avg, so if you can plan a route that's very rural you will stand a better chance. As you have said, try to incorporate more left hand turns than right-handers too.

Last edited:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I did what was for me a fast 50 miles a few weeks ago and couldn't average more than 18mph. When I looked back at the analysis, where I lost a lot of time was having to stop or slow down at junctions & traffic lights (obviously right turns I have to stop completely), stopping for roadworks and through towns my speed dropped massively. Not saying I could do 20mph average but it seems the route has a significant effect

By far the easiest way would be to ride as part of a large group. I could see myself possibly dipping under the 5 hour mark with the help of stronger, faster riders; but would consider this an impossible target on my own.

Top Bottom