100 miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TechMech

Just wondering what does everyone count as "doing a 100 mile ride"?

By this I mean does having stops (say 3-4 times) or stopping half way round for lunch count? Is the general consensus that as long as the distance adds up to 100 miles it's OK or does it have to be done in one go on one day?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
in my book providing you do 100 miles in 1 day it counts :sad: Last year I rode to Beverley, did a 100k sportive, rode home & then rode to the pub & back for tea, total of 101 miles & I classed that as a ton ride :smile: but others may disagree

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think you're allowed to stop and eat, especially cake on the way to 100 miles :smile:. I think that's allowed :sad:.

100miles is exactly that in my book, it doesn't mater how often or little you stop it still 100miles. The longest I've done non stop is 110miles but the folk who done the ride and stopped 3 or 4 times still did 110 miles IMO. Furthermore if the journey was over 2 days I'd count it personally as two separate rides, say a 50 & a 50 but if a person wanted to call it a 100mile ride and was quite open about the overnight part, I wouldn't object.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My ton involved a number of stops - admiring a forecourt full of Lotus Elises, drinks and ice-cream in Cambridge, ham egg and chips in Ely, tea in Sandringham, and fish and chips at Hunstanton.
If you think it's a hundred mile ride, then it is. I'd never claim that, say, a ride to Hyde Park Corner, followed by a FNRttC, followed by a ride back home, wasn't a serious ride, even though it's over two days and involved a number of refreshment stops.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
marzjennings said:
While I agree with others that 100 miles in a day regardless of the number of stops is still a '100' there's something to riding your first 100 without stops.

I didn't find that. I just found that you lose motivation and it no longer matters, they just end up as long rides and the only thing to distinguish them is where you went and what company :sad: - probably what it should have been about in the first place.

marinyork said:
I didn't find that. I just found that you lose motivation and it no longer matters, they just end up as long rides and the only thing to distinguish them is where you went and what company :sad: - probably what it should have been about in the first place.

Well it's cool for me. I ride solo so company is irrelevant and there's nothing of really striking beauty within 300 miles of this city so the where isn't important either. It's all about the miles, balancing pace and speed against energy and endurance. I love hitting the 75-80 mile mark and still feeling good enough to finish the last hour at speed.

I guess I'm more of a ride's head down and pedal rider, than a ride head's up and observing type of rider.

jimboalee

As I remember, the CTC classifies a 'Standard 100' in either 8 hours, 10 hours or 12 hours.

The listing in the magazine would read something like "N Birm 100 in 10"
which means 100 miles in 10 hours from the Yenton pub.

I used to go on a few of these and there was always a stop for Guinness and meat pies, with a tea stop on the return.
The organiser's wife would be parked in a lay-by with a campstove brewing up a big pot of tea. Accompnied by several packets of biscuits and a Parkin cake.:sad:

They were easy-peasy. Training rides for AUK 200s in 10 hours.

jimboalee

marzjennings said:
Well it's cool for me. I ride solo so company is irrelevant and there's nothing of really striking beauty within 300 miles of this city so the where isn't important either. It's all about the miles, balancing pace and speed against energy and endurance. I love hitting the 75-80 mile mark and still feeling good enough to finish the last hour at speed.

I guess I'm more of a ride's head down and pedal rider, than a ride head's up and observing type of rider.

Do you live in Nebraska?

scook94

Veteran
TechMech said:
Just wondering what does everyone count as "doing a 100 mile ride"?

By this I mean does having stops (say 3-4 times) or stopping half way round for lunch count? Is the general consensus that as long as the distance adds up to 100 miles it's OK or does it have to be done in one go on one day?

Does this mean you've done one Alan?

Cayopro

Doc, It sounds like your ton was similar to mine, I got my 1st ton in last week, I rode from Stevenage to Hunstanton !! That was 101 miles on the nose.......

jimboalee

Some will say that if you sit down on a pub chair and your sitting heart rate returns to as it normally would be for that relaxed seated position, your ride has terminated and any more riding that day will constitute a seperate ride.

Some put times against it as to your rate of muscle cooling.

Some wise old fellows say if you yawn after being seated in a cafe chair, you've finished the ride.

Top Bottom