100 miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toekneep

I've done two 100s and in both cases they involved two cafe stops. I ride to enjoy the countryside and villages I pass through as much as anything so stopping is all part of the pleasure. Riding a bit quicker is something that tempts me but I can't imagine the appeal of 100 miles non stop.

jimboalee said:
Do you live in Nebraska?

Nah, Houston and I may have stretched the distance to something interesting. Austin and the Texas hill county is only about 200 miles away. And we do have the coast about 60 miles away, but for those of us who come from a real coast line (Cornwall) Galveston and the surrounding area isn't much to rave about.

OP
OP
T

TechMech

scoosh said:
We've had loads of them planned for you :smile: ... but you never showed up :laugh:.

:smile:

What/where ???

A CC Ecosse ride @ 100 miles, hmmmm not sure I spotted that one :smile:

Plus you guys keep arranging them for Saturdays, which is no good for me I'm afraid :sad:

As to where....well it's something I've had planned for a while and now I think I can complete it.

Perth-Coupar Angus-Blairgowrie-Dunkeld-Aberfeldy-Killin-Lochearnhead-Comrie -Crieff-Perth, somewhere in the region of 115-120 miles but final route still tbc

Seamab

It would be difficult to carry enough liquid to complete a 100m without stopping to purchase some more.

Audaxes employ controls to force you to stop and refuel (and even sleep on the longer ones). Sportives have feed stations. You don't need to stop for long if you don't want to. The call of nature should come into play or you are not drinking enough.

I've done a fair few 100 milers but i've always had to stop at some point. If i'm doing a solo 100 then i plan a cafe stop at halfway for a decent feed.

So, i'd not get too hung up about "rules" - just do it!

I once did a 97 miler. Now most people would go round the block a few times to get up to the magic 100 but i was so knackered i just wanted off the bike and home couldn't come quick enough. Poor ride management:blush:

Top tip - leave Glen Quaich out of your route;)

U

User482

A ton just wouldn't be much fun without a stop for a bacon butty and several litres of tea...

scook94

Veteran
TechMech said:
A CC Ecosse ride @ 100 miles, hmmmm not sure I spotted that one :smile:

Plus you guys keep arranging them for Saturdays, which is no good for me I'm afraid :smile:

As to where....well it's something I've had planned for a while and now I think I can complete it.

Perth-Coupar Angus-Blairgowrie-Dunkeld-Aberfeldy-Killin-Lochearnhead-Comrie -Crieff-Perth, somewhere in the region of 115-120 miles but final route still tbc

When are you planning on doing it? Is there room for one more rider?

PK99

Legendary Member
Surely there are two very different beasts:

At one extreme, set out at 7am, get to Brighton (50 miles from here) at 11am. Long lunch, set out at 3pm and get home at 7pm: 100 miles in the day

At the other, set out at 7am, feed on the bike, swing round in Brighton and straight back. Home 3pm: 100 miles in one piece.

While the first is well within my capabilities - the second would be a real stretch.

lukesdad

I do my Sportives normally without stopping as well as Mtb marathons, as to carrying enough liquid... Easy 2 on the bike 2 in the back pockets.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
TechMech said:
A CC Ecosse ride @ 100 miles, hmmmm not sure I spotted that one :biggrin:

Plus you guys keep arranging them for Saturdays, which is no good for me I'm afraid :sad:

Need/want company ? :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'd be happy to doodle round with you :biggrin: or :smile:.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For me, the criterion of a 'ride terminated' is sleeping in a bed. Riding back from Wales to home (250ish miles) over two days with a lovely B&B in the middle equals two 125 miles rides. Riding back from Wales to home with as few breaks as possible, pushing on through the night and only napping in a bivvy bag in a bus shelter somewhere is one 250 mile ride. In my book anyway.

But I guess it gets complicated for stuff that takes longer than a single day anyway.

Greenbank

Über Member
GregCollins said:
But I guess it gets complicated for stuff that takes longer than a single day anyway.

Indeed. On LEL I only slept in a bed at the end of day 3 (actually it was 6am on day 4 by the time I got into that bed)

Day 1: 320km to Thorne, 3 hours sleep on an inflatable airbed under a blanket
Day 2: 300km to Eskdalemuir, 2 hours sleep on a tiled floor under a blanket
Day 2.8: 1 hour sleep in a church porch in Brampton wrapped up in a space blanket
Day 3: 300km to Alston, 3 hours sleep in a bed
Day 4: 200km to Thorne, 2 hours sleep on an inflatable airbed under a blanket
Day 5: 300km to finish, got home at 8am but didn't go to bed until 8pm.

I've done a 600 with only a 10 minute nap on a bench.

I don't think I've ever done 100 miles in one go without a stop. The first 160km of LEL was the closest as I didn't go into the optional food stop at 65km at Gamlingay. The first food I'd eaten was at Thurlby (close enough to 100 miles).

100 miles without a stop is certainly possible but I wouldn't like to do it on a hot summers day.

The fast people do a 100 mile TTs in under 4 hours. K Dawson holds the CTT 100 mile TT record at an astonishing 3:22:45. I'm pretty sure you're not allowed outside assistance on a TT so he would have done that with a couple of bottles of energy drink and some energy gels stuffed in his jersey pockets.

I'd be happy with twice that time for a 100 mile ride. :sad:

Fiona N

Veteran
I'm with Greg on this one - if you stop for a shower / sleep in a bed, then it's the end of your ride and you start counting when you get up again. I would slightly soften this rule for long Audax rides like PBP or LEL (or LEJoG done for speed) where the 'bed' is a mattress is the corner of a sports hall or similar and it's used for 3 or 4 hours not all night.

So I would count my 1500km LEJoG done under Audax rules and 106 hour (IIRC) time time as a five day ride as I spent comfortable nights in hotels along the way whereas the 700km in a 24 hour TT is a 700km ride :sad:

jimboalee

GregCollins said:
For me, the criterion of a 'ride terminated' is sleeping in a bed. Riding back from Wales to home (250ish miles) over two days with a lovely B&B in the middle equals two 125 miles rides. Riding back from Wales to home with as few breaks as possible, pushing on through the night and only napping in a bivvy bag in a bus shelter somewhere is one 250 mile ride. In my book anyway.

AUKs Midlands Mesh allows me to ride a 400, stopping at home for three hours kip in my own bed before setting off again.

Not done that yet, but it is possible.

Top Bottom