101 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
flying start

flying start

Veteran
Thanx all!! well my legs are ok but I've got a sore calf think I've pulled somthing pain started behined my knee now in the calf so just taking it easy for a day or two!
I struggled the last 15 miles but didn't want to put gels into me so close to home it was hard work but will be on the cards to do a gain! Just the freedom of been in the saddle love it! Didn't get any saddle sore as I do long days out in the lakes on full sus bike (skiddaw) (helvellyn)!! Make sure we had stops and some dinner and lots of water! Or and getting a flat just after Alston was a quick break for the legs!

Just thought I'd let you know I achieved 101 miles
On Sunday most I've ever done was 47 miles
Quite pleased with my self headed over hartside and Alston
Then over to haltwhistle then making my way back to Carlisle by Gretna took me all day but did it!

I managed 49 miles last saturday. I was pleased with myself coz the most I ever done before that was just over 30. 47 to 101 is a titanic leap, I bet you were bonked right out. I would be interested to know how you went about your ride such as how much you stopped, had food etc.
My ride consisted of riding 14 miles to a shop to change my shitty wheels for a decent pair and also to top up my water. The shop gave me free tablet things which replace electolytes or some science stuff. 14 miles back home and had some food. Back out for the remainder of the miles which was very hilly. I think those tablets must have been steroids or something coz I didnt bonk out.

OP
OP
flying start

flying start

Veteran
I find the tables really good I usually use high 5 ones but ran out. I got given three gels and a sachet to add in my water lemon flavor (all power bar) seemed to do the trick. I didn't use any gels didn't think I needed them well except the last 15 miles or so but I did want to take one so close to home and time was getting on 5pm.
Befor I set off I had portage oats with honey and a Coffee took the gels and two sis water bottles with me one mixed with the powerbar stuff and a pack of wine gums, got to hart side and had some wine gums with normal water them cycled to haltwisle where we stopped for dinner at a shop got a pot of tuna pasta and a botle of water to top mine up followed by a kitkat chunky.we then pressed on to lanercost where my mates mam lives so he charged his phone we stopped there about half hour or so and some more wine gums then made our way to longtown where I got more wine gum and water and did the finle stretch back to Carlisle but didn't need to buy the wine gums so theyll do for next outing

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I find the tables really good I usually use high 5 ones but ran out. I got given three gels and a sachet to add in my water lemon flavor (all power bar) seemed to do the trick. I didn't use any gels didn't think I needed them well except the last 15 miles or so but I did want to take one so close to home and time was getting on 5pm.
Befor I set off I had portage oats with honey and a Coffee took the gels and two sis water bottles with me one mixed with the powerbar stuff and a pack of wine gums, got to hart side and had some wine gums with normal water them cycled to haltwisle where we stopped for dinner at a shop got a pot of tuna pasta and a botle of water to top mine up followed by a kitkat chunky.we then pressed on to lanercost where my mates mam lives so he charged his phone we stopped there about half hour or so and some more wine gums then made our way to longtown where I got more wine gum and water and did the finle stretch back to Carlisle but didn't need to buy the wine gums so theyll do for next outing

I think high5 zero tablets are brilliant, I always have a few knocking about because they come free with high5 bottles! For other non-commuting type rides I tend to drink squash with a little sprinkle of electrolyte salt in it.

Eating is crucial to be able to do these long rides - on my first hundred I started getting a headache and cramps 15 miles from the end so stopped and knocked back a ton of calorific bits and bobs, ten minutes later I felt much better.

According to Endomondo http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/kkLA7-BsfCQ I burnt 6640 calories over 108 miles, most of which I probably made up over the next couple of days of inhaling cashew nuts and cheap beer.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
That is really good, I bet you feel really chipper. I'm hoping to get up to that sort of distance one of these months or years. Farthest I've been so far on the Pashley Roadster is 45, including up and over the Malvern Hills. I'm doing the 49 mile Bredon Hill Bikeaway in October, which will take me over the half century including the getting there and back.

Well done you

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Well done, my first century was flat as a pancake.Buoyed up by my success my next one had some big hills and I thought I would never make it round. Congratulations on doing a lumpy century first attempt.:thumbsup:

When you say you rode from Alston to Haltwhistle, did you go via the South Tyne Trail and if so has it been repaired yet? I had a brilliant ride from Haltwhistle to Newcastle on Saturday. Train from Carlisle to HW then the road between the A69 and the military Road all the way to Fourstones wind on my back fair whipping along (for me) Used side roads and cycle ways all the way virtually traffic free apart from a lot of riders between Corbridge and Wylam. Train back from Newcastle but could not get on the first one because it was full of C2C riders.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Congratulations. Did my first 100+ this year, and done two more since. Each very different in nature (social ride, Sportive and Audax) and in challenge (flat but generally downhill, lumpy, and nightmarishly tough), but all good to complete.

Top Bottom