105 5800 chainset v Rs500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simontm

Veteran
picked up a Merlin Axe which was advertised with a 105 5800 chainset. When it arrived I noticed it was actually a RS500 chainset.
Merlin have offered to replace the chainset but considering this means spending £15 on a BB tool and not having use of the bike for a week or so (I still have my roady) I was wondering - is it worth it or should I suggest they give me a £50 voucher for the difference?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Take the chainset it's worth a lot more than £50 - but they should fit it for free too - its a 5-10 minute job for them so they could do it on the spot

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've got an RS-500 chainset on my Merida, which is very similar to the 105 5700 chainset. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd just take the voucher. If anything I prefer the evenly spaced 5-bolt chainsets to the new proprietary spaced 4 bolt ones that Shimano have moved to.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The 105 chainset will make sod all difference to either speed or riding experience and the RS-500 does not look like something off a BSO either. I'd take the voucher and use it to buy whatever bit of kit or clothing that would be genuinely useful.

bpsmith

Veteran
The absolute cheapest I can find for an RS500 crank is £59.95. The cheapest for a 105 5800 is £89.95. If you’re lucky enough to get the difference of £30, then go for it. If they agree to £50, then bite their hand off!

Top Bottom