105 goes electronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
GCN have a nice video out about it.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'm all for wireless braking, it's not unthinkable

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's disc only so I'd need a whole new bike if I wanted it, or at least a new frame, which isn't likely to happen any time soon. Still, plenty of life left in my R7000 (I hope).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
£1700 for 105 !

think of at as £1700 for 12 speed Di2!

but defo still not cheap when bought standalone, but then groupsets never are to the punter, but heavily discounted to the manufacturer.

Its really a question of what premium will you pay on a new bike for 105 Di2 vs 105 / Tiagra mechanical. If that's under £500 i suspect it will be a popular option.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Meh. While as (nearly) always Shimano appear to have executed it very well, it really leaves me cold.

I don't doubt the touted benefits of electronic shifting and for those who really want it, this is great that Shimano are offering this at a lower price point. However as it seems with many aspects of cycling I can't help but think the electronic shifting offers disproportionate marginal gains in terms of functionality relative to the downsides that come with it.

I'm very pleased to see that they've retained R7000 as I absolutely love this groupset on my bike and I guess killing it would leave a gaping hole between 10-sp mechanical Tiagra and 12-sp electronic 105. I guess it's inevitable the Tiagra will eventually become 11sp as the endless march towards more gears trickles down the heirachy, and that there will probably be a move towards a 12 speed mechanical replacement for R7000 in time - although I'd be in no hurry to adopt that either.

Long live R7000 tbh!

Last edited:
£1700 for 105 !

Screenshot_20220618-183934.png

Top Bottom