105 goes electronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I'm all in for electronic shifting but would like to keep option open for mechanical too as I think bikes should be at their core, mechanical machines.

Everything is expensive but i was not expecting it not to be. I will not be in the market for it however but I wish everyone happy riding if they do opt for it.

Final thought: Uhm, i dont like that front derailleur much....

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What's to fall for? If tech trickles down and electronic shifting is in the budget for many that it previously wasn't - how does that make them suckers?
The technology can trickle where it likes, my money is staying firmly on my account. £1700 to dispense with two Bowden cables? If that's not an invitation to suckers I don't know what is.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The technology can trickle where it likes, my money is staying firmly on my account. £1700 to dispense with two Bowden cables . If that's not an invitation to suckers I don't know what is.

But as @T4tomo points out it's not as simple as that. £1700 is the price for the entire groupset (including chainset, cassette, brakes etc) to retail. But hardly anyone ever buys an entire groupset*.

The vast, vast majority of sales will be as part of built-up bikes. Then the price difference between cabled and electronic will be much smaller than £1700.

So it's not "£1,700 to dispense with two Bowden Cables" Although it will still be several hundred quid. But many people, not necessarily all suckers, will consider that £X00 - however much it is - worth paying for the 'leccy shifting.

* I bought about 80% of an R7000 groupset when I replaced my knackered SRAM Apex a few years ago. Buying the bits I needed individually was significantly less than the headline cost of R7000. But I forget the actual numbers.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm all in for electronic shifting but would like to keep option open for mechanical too as I think bikes should be at their core, mechanical machines.

Nail on the head and something I was struggling to articulate - objectively it seems totally absurd to take something of which a key strength is it's requirement for no power other than that provided by the user, and make a significant part of its functionality reliant on an external, disposible power source :rolleyes:

While some struggle with the apparant death of mechanical rim brakes I can fully get on board with the rise of hydro discs for all the practical benefits they bring. Conversely the requirement for external, finite electrical power for fundamental system controls is a step far too far IMO.

I'm wondering whether R7000 will, over time become some sort of coveted unicorn that represents the pinnacle of mech groupsets before all the high end ones were killed off..

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But as @T4tomo points out it's not as simple as that. £1700 is the price for the entire groupset (including chainset, cassette, brakes etc) to retail. But hardly anyone ever buys an entire groupset*.

The vast, vast majority of sales will be as part of built-up bikes. Then the price difference between cabled and electronic will be much smaller than £1700.

So it's not "£1,700 to dispense with two Bowden Cables" Although it will still be several hundred quid. But many people, not necessarily all suckers, will consider that £X00 - however much it is - worth paying for the 'leccy shifting.

* I bought about 80% of an R7000 groupset when I replaced my knackered SRAM Apex a few years ago. Buying the bits I needed individually was significantly less than the headline cost of R7000. But I forget the actual numbers.
Okay, so realistically it's going to be around a grand. Shifters, derailleurs, batteries, charger, cabling etc etc. Still in sucker territory I'm afraid though. :smile:
I'm sure many will be impressed and buy, Shimano stock holders won't be complaining.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Okay, so realistically it's going to be around a grand. Shifters, derailleurs, batteries, charger, cabling etc etc. Still in sucker territory I'm afraid though. :smile:
I'm sure many will be impressed and buy, Shimano stock holders won't be complaining.

As far as I can tell you haven't bought a new bike since Adam was a lad so not sure where you're even interested or commenting.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Where do you get that figure from?

The difference in retail cost between R7100 and R7000 is already less than that, so even in the most incredibly simplistic terms the price difference between a 7000 equipped bike and 7100 equipped one would be less than £1k. Unless you're comparing the fancy R7100 equipped bike with a fixed gear bike with one brake or something.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As far as I can tell you haven't bought a new bike since Adam was a lad so not sure where you're even interested or commenting.
You have no idea what new or otherwise bikes I've bought, what's that got to with it anyway?
In case it has missed your comprehension this is a forum where members can comment on whatever topic they like. It's not North Korea or Russian.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I read it as 12 speed only which defeats to some extent branding it as 105, more 105+. Scrubs thoughts of simply swapping out the mech derailleurs

You can fit a 12 speed cassette on any hub that takes Shimano (or SRAM) 11 speed. So maybe not MUCH more than that.

When 105 went from 10 speed to 11 (when Dura-Ace & Ultegra were also 11 speed), did that defeat branding it as 105?

Alex321

Veteran

It is unlikely to be anything like that much. I'd expect the difference between bikes equipped with Di2 105 and mechanical 105 to be more in the region of £500, maybe even a bit less.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It is unlikely to be anything like that much. I'd expect the difference between bikes equipped with Di2 105 and mechanical 105 to be more in the region of £500, maybe even a bit less.
Sorry, I was talking about the derailleur components separately.

Top Bottom