105 goes electronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Do any Tour de France riders use electronic shifting?

They all use it

Proto

Legendary Member
you could probably add di2 to any bike for a lot less than 1700.......you dont need the new cranks or shifters.

Just buy the sattelite shifters and put them on the tops. I mean how many of you are sit in the drops and changing gears on a regular basis. and if you are, put another sprint button on the drops.....wil still cost less than 1700

ultegra rear mech - 200
Ultegra front mech - 150
2 sets sprint buttons - 200
Junction box - 87
Battery - 115
5 cables of various lengths - 100

Thats what 800ish - for 11 speed di2 - without changing cranks and shifters

Ultegra di2 shifters for rim or cable disc brakes are around £80 each on wiggle...if you feel the need to add them

I bought a used Ultra 6870 Di2 11 speed groupset recently for £300. Not mint, but very good.

Having used electric shifting on my best bike for a while now (Campag EPS), apart from budget constraints, electronic for me, every time. Simple brilliant, and I'm sad to say, as a lifelong Campag user, I think Di2 is better than EPS. :boxing:

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I bought a used Ultra 6870 Di2 11 speed groupset recently for £300. Not mint, but very good.

Having used electric shifting on my best bike for a while now (Camapg EPS), apart from budget constraints, electronic for me, every time. Simple brilliant, and I'm sad to say, as a lifelong Campaign user, I think Di2 is better than EPS. :boxing:

Good pick up for 300 bucks….enjoy

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Whether people like it or not, electronic shifting is going to become the norm for racing at all levels and for those interested in fast leisure riding. Tech changes are driven by the young who have no historical affinity with steel frames, downtube shifters or caliper brakes etc. It was the same when I started, many of the older riders were still on three speed blocks and steel chainsets and berating us "More money than sense youngsters" for going five speed and cotterless. We didn't give a feck, we wanted the latest stuff going and as time went on and the coffin dodgers shuffled off they became the norm - and then we grew up and many among us took the regulation old gits attitude toward further improvements, "What do you need indexing/clipless/aluminium for, blah blah blah blah". Nothing changes.

Meanwhile, the Chinese are coming -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC3dgiqR6zc

Morning,

Well that explains 105 Di2 to me then, Shimano had to release it. :smile:

For those who don't read the whole thread I said I didn't expect it until someone like Sunrace or Microshift came out with electronic shifting and Shimano were forced to offer 105 Di2 because the big bike brands were threatening to go to them.

I went Googling and found this https://bikerumor.com/wheeltop-wireless-mtb-drivetrain-12-speed/

the WheelTop EDX OS Series is a $400 USD package comprising derailleur, two batteries, and wireless shifter.

Which doesn't seem as cheap as might be expected and

And, given that the firmware is post-purchase configurable to any 7- to 12-Speed Cassette on the market, they may find there’s a high demand.

For those not into Di2, it is not only fixed as a 10/11/12 speed device, Shimano software can be quite choosey, as the front and rear mechs identify themselves the software says, No I don't like that combination so no shifting will take place.

There seems to be very little info on say a 105 rear and Ultegra front, if they were mix and match I thought that someone would be shouting about it.

I think that the idea is that as Di2 is a premium product and Shimano don't want to damage it's reputation by something like someone using a 10 speed front mech which doesn't correctly automatically adjust when used on a 12 speed system.

.............. Actually, why do we need clipless?:laugh: I retried it recently, had two clipless moments and was too scared to carry on with it, even worse the money that I spent on the shoes would have paid for a fridge!

Bye

Ian

DRM

Guru
105 now is much better than Ultegra of a few years back.

I'd rather have new 105 than old Ultegra.

That said I've not got electronic gears on any bike.

And Tiagra is now as good as, if not better than 105 10 speed, having bikes with both versions of Tiagra the difference between is very much noticeable, this trickle down of improvements has benefits for everyone no matter what spec of group set your bike comes with

Top Bottom