105 will I be able to tell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nicholas

Über Member
My question is I am debating weather to upgrade my shimano Claris to 105 group set and have found a deal for 299 and wondered is it really that much of a change your thoughts on this matter

MikeW-71

Veteran
Bear in mind I've never tried Claris for myself. I found 105 to be noticeably different to Tiagra, it feels more "snappy" and needs less lever travel for shifts. 105 brake calipers are also very noticeably better.

I think you will notice quite a difference as 105 is the best "bang for your buck" IMHO. As long as your rear wheel is 10 speed compatible, I don't see why you shouldn't do it. It can always be removed and re-fitted to a different bike if needed.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Bear in mind I've never tried Claris for myself. I found 105 to be noticeably different to Tiagra, it feels more "snappy" and needs less lever travel for shifts. 105 brake calipers are also very noticeably better.

I think you will notice quite a difference as 105 is the best "bang for your buck" IMHO. As long as your rear wheel is 10 speed compatible, I don't see why you shouldn't do it. It can always be removed and re-fitted to a different bike if needed.
You're right about the difference in shifting. I upgraded from bottom end Shimano to 105 a while ago and there is no comparison IMHO.

potsy

Rambler
105 is very smooth, certainly better than my Sora equipped bike.
Ideally you would get the bike from the outset with the groupset already on it, much cheaper in the long run than upgrading afterwards.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Can I be a party pooper? I had Shimano 105s on my last bike. My new lover has Campagnolo Veloce. I'm totally smitten...no comparison.

SS Retro

Can I be a party pooper? I had Shimano 105s on my last bike. My new lover has Campagnolo Veloce. I'm totally smitten...no comparison.
I have Veloce equipped Italian and whilst its great you cant buy a groupset for £299 which seems like a fair deal for a 105 set up.

Top Bottom