105 will I be able to tell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evans very good for test rides. I test rode a 105 bike and decided it wasn't for me due to the hoods, smooth changes though
Not saying you are wrong but for me I find the hood shape more comfortable than sora, perhaps the set up wasn't quite right :-/

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
105 is a different beast entirely compared to Claris, Sora etc.

I highly doubt most people would notice 2.5mm

I tend to agree (I have ridden 165mm to 175mm cranks and the difference was not particularly noticeable), you would notice a change in Q-Factor much more so (although, you shouldn't worry about this either, kind of wish I didn't say anything about it now for fear of follow up Q's, lol)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Not saying you are wrong but for me I find the hood shape more comfortable than sora, perhaps the set up wasn't quite right :-/
The hoods are the wrong shape, too fat for me to comfortably hold and brake. The SRAM hoods are narrower so can wrap hand round and get enough force on lever

Martin p

105 is a different beast entirely compared to Claris, Sora etc.

I tend to agree (I have ridden 165mm to 175mm cranks and the difference was not particularly noticeable), you would notice a change in Q-Factor much more so (although, you shouldn't worry about this either, kind of wish I didn't say anything about it now for fear of follow up Q's, lol)[/

Dont even want to know what " the Q factor " is :-) got enough to think about . Thsnks for the info though . :-)

Martin p

Hi nicolas. I gather you ve seen the 105 groupset at merlin . Just in case you've missed it , can be had in double or triple form at Ribble for £299 standard price not in an offer :-)

maltloaf

I've gone from 8 speed 2300 to 10 speed Tiagra and I've just put 105 on my new build. Honestly I can't feel the difference between 2013 Tiagra shifters and 2012 105 which I used but the jump from 2300 to Tiagra is massive.

The derailleurs are much better engineered than the lower spec ones though.

zizou

Veteran
I have Claris on my winter bike and 105 and Ultegra on 2 of my other bikes. The latter two are better, a bit crisper but its not night and day unlike the old sora that had the thumb shifters.

Ive been impressed with Claris to the extent that i may use my winter bike (minus the mudguards obviously) for early season racing when the chances of crashing tend to be a bit higher - i wouldnt however consider this if i wasnt confident in how it shifts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom