11-32 or 11-28 cassette - what noticeable difference is there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just be sure to replace the rivet/bolt when done. They help to spread the load from an individual cog among the other cogs. A single cog being so thin and having enough force on it can chew up the freehub body.
Never did in over 12,000 miles. I wear wheel rims out quicker than freehubs.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I went from a 32 to a 28 this year. Find it a lot harder climbing on the 28. I'm usually faster, but it takes a lot more from me. When it ones time to replace derailleur I will swap to 32 again. Using shimano ultegra and im over 200 lbs

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I pootle about on a triple; 50/39/30 front, and originally 12/25 rear (8 speed). I could get up pretty much anything with that, but up the 1 in 4's and 1 in 5's I'd be stood up on the pedals.

I now have another triple; same at the front but 12/32 at the back. This would allow me to spin up a cliff face, pretty much. But, do you know what? I hate spinning. Doing 90rpm for 6mph road speed is rather disheartening to me. Plus, if I remain seated on the steepest hills I feel like I'll fall backward. Thus, I'd rather keep the bike in a higher gear and stand up.

I guess the point of my ramble is; horses for courses really. If you like spinning, get a big rear sprocket. If you prefer to stand, get a smaller rear sprocket and closer ratios.

Incidentally, the 12/25 on the original is now an 11/28, which makes it markedly faster downhill whilst easing a bit of the pain on the big slopes, at the slight cost to acceleration (but at my age I don't so much accelerate as gather momentum, so it doesn't really matter).

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Just be sure to replace the rivet/bolt when done. They help to spread the load from an individual cog among the other cogs. A single cog being so thin and having enough force on it can chew up the freehub body.

And don't forget to tighten your lockring to spec, my hub is knackered because I didn't tighten it enough :sad:

Nibor

Bewildered
I run a 34 on mine and I have a triple

Ajax Bay

Guru
My daughter . . . currently has an 11-32 cassette mated to a 34-50 chainring which she gets on well with in the area she lives in Yorkshire, with a fair few hills around. . . . looking at . . 11-28 cassettes and has asked what difference [is]
I run a 34 on mine and I have a triple
What's your point, Robin? Perhaps the OP's daughter has a higher power to weight ratio than you? Maybe she'd appreciate usable gear ratios rather closer together than your 11-34 offers.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What's your point, Robin? Perhaps the OP's daughter has a higher power to weight ratio than you? Maybe she'd appreciate usable gear ratios rather closer together than your 11-34 offers.

Well, herein lies the problem. We don't know what the OP's daughter actually needs/wants.

We do know that she'd lose a noticeably big chunk off her bottom gear if she switched from 11-32 to 11-28. But we don't know if she'd care.

We do know that she'd get closer ratios than she's currently used to if she switched from 11-32 to 11-28. Again we don't know if she'd care.

Personally I would and wouldn't care, respectively. And guess what? I run an 11-32.

Nibor

Bewildered
I didn't have a point I didn't realise it was compulsory.
I should imagine the ops daughter definitely has a higher power to weight ratio than me.
I imagine it would be a good idea to see how she manages on a 11-28 and swap it out if it is an issue.

Top Bottom