11 speed cassette barely fits on hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So I ordered these back in January, and I do remember at the time that the cassette lock ring only just got enough purchase on the thread. However they have done 2,500km without any obvious problems.

I took the bike in to the shop on Saturday for a broken spoke, and when I picked it up yesterday they said they thought the hub might only be for 10 speed, and they were unable to torque it up to the recommended tightness due to lack of purchase on the thread. I took it off again when I got home, and the smallest cog definitely sits quite proud of the hub body.

I've checked the obvious, like spacers, and the individual sprockets being snug against their neighbours.

How do I confirm whether the wheels I have on the bike are definitely 11 speed?

Nibor

Bewildered
What wheels / hubs are they someone here may just know.

simon.r

Person
Are you absolutely certain that the spacer to convert 11 speed to 10 speed hasn't been left on? Wheels often come with this spacer supplied.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I think you probably answered it for yourself when you said the lockring only just got enough purchase to bite.
And what with the LBS telling you they reckon it's a 10sp hub.
The lockring should really fit comfortably on and tighten up after you put the cogs on.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
What wheels / hubs are they someone here may just know.

They are supposed to be ProLite Revo A21: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-revo-a21-alloy-road-disc-brake-wheelset
That is what I ordered. I'll have a look and see if the model is printed on the wheel anywhere.

Are you absolutely certain that the spacer to convert 11 speed to 10 speed hasn't been left on? Wheels often come with this spacer supplied.

Pretty sure, but I'll double triple check later on.

U

User6179

They are supposed to be ProLite Revo A21: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-revo-a21-alloy-road-disc-brake-wheelset
That is what I ordered. I'll have a look and see if the model is printed on the wheel anywhere.

Pretty sure, but I'll double triple check later on.

The difference between 10 and 11 speed freehub is about 2mm , one of the ways to tell if you have a 10 speed freehub is the gap between the lockring and frame , it will just about be touching with a 11 speed cassette .

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
The difference between 10 and 11 speed freehub is about 2mm , one of the ways to tell if you have a 10 speed freehub is the gap between the lockring and frame , it will just about be touching with a 11 speed cassette .
Hey Eddy,
How's it hanging mate?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Have you got any calipers?

If so check the measurements - the top half of the hub in the diagram is 11 speed the bottom is 10 speed.

DT-Swiss-Shimano-11-speed-hub-diagram2-600x425.gif

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Definitely no spacer.
IMG_20160906_190410.jpg

Distance looks like 35mm which corresponds to the 10 speed dimensions above.
IMG_20160906_190515.jpg

The cassette looks spaced together ok.

IMG_20160906_190905.jpg

But the smallest sprocket is definitely proud of the hub.

IMG_20160906_190839.jpg

Also, some of the splines on the sprockets look worn. It's only done 2,500km.

IMG_20160906_190656.jpg

So maybe wiggle supplied the wrong wheelset.

The only id I can see on the wheel is a barcode A516809 and a sticker saying Pro lite certified hand built PL-05138154

Any thoughts before I send it back to wiggle? I've put the original rear wheel back on for now.

Top Bottom