11 speed cassette barely fits on hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Or just a thought - is it an option to swap the freehub body for an XD without rebuilding the whole wheel? I'm not sure if it's just a case of replacing the body.

Not sure but freehubs are usually different between brands .

Siclo

Veteran
Hmm, maybe I've realised the problem.

I can't quite tell how a larger biggest sprocket would cause this problem.

Er, it doesn't, the XD freehub is to solve a problem with a sprocket smaller than 11 teeth, that is you only need it to run 10-42, the 11-42 should run fine.

Doesn't explain why it doesn't fit though.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hmm. What I've just read suggests the XD freehub is only required for having a 10 tooth smallest sprocket, and has nothing to do with the 42 tooth largest one.
Now I'm confused.

ETA: TMN to @Siclo

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Er, it doesn't, the XD freehub is to solve a problem with a sprocket smaller than 11 teeth, that is you only need it to run 10-42, the 11-42 should run fine.

Doesn't explain why it doesn't fit though.

OK, so forget buying an 11-36. File off the burrs and try and fit the existing 11-42. Maybe tap it down with a rubber mallet?
Or just take it to my LBS and let them worry about it.

goody

Veteran
Wasn't the LBS where the whole saga started?
Haven't you got a 10 speed cassete to try on it, if it goes on with the lockring tightened and the cassette if held firm (no lateral movement) then its probably a 10 speed freehub. I think the diagram and your photo on page 1 gives you the answer. If you've still got the original wheels which are 11 speed compare the two the difference should be fairly obvious.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Wasn't the LBS where the whole saga started?
Haven't you got a 10 speed cassete to try on it, if it goes on with the lockring tightened and the cassette if held firm (no lateral movement) then its probably a 10 speed freehub. I think the diagram and your photo on page 1 gives you the answer. If you've still got the original wheels which are 11 speed compare the two the difference should be fairly obvious.

No, I bought the wheels and fitted the cassette myself, then when it was in the LBS for a broken spoke they told me that the cassette didn't fit on properly.
I'll check it against the original wheelset, but I don't think my measurements were as categorical as I first thought.

Hmm, maybe I've realised the problem.

The original spec was an 11-42 cassette on Vision Team 30 wheels.
So when I got a good deal on the Pro Lite Revo 25 I got a cassette the same.
However, I've just realised that the big 42 apparently needs an XD freehub.
So maybe the original wheels had that kind of hub, but the new ones didn't.
In which case I'll need to get an 11-36 cassette instead.

I can't quite tell how a larger biggest sprocket would cause this problem, but this article states it quite clearly, that the 42 needs a different freehub. http://road.cc/content/review/170051-sram-rival-1
I can't actually see in either wheelset spec where it states the type of freehub though, so not sure how I could have known in advance.
What a dummy.

So, looks like I can hopefully file the burrs off and put a new 11-36 cassette on. The loss of 6 teeth shouldn't make too much difference.

Why would a large sprocket on a cassette require a different freehub body?

U

User169

Dont really get all this. Hub bodies are 10/11sp for Campag and 9/10/11 sp for Shim/SRAM. You only need to change the body to convert between cassettes from different manufacturers.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Did this ever get resolved? I am being offered these wheels as a warranty replacement for my 105 11spd equipped all road bike and worry about the cassette fitment after reading of your problems.
At least I will know to confirm the cassette fits properly before doing anything else when they arrive.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Yeah, I took the old cassette off, and smoothed out the burrs with some emery cloth.
I fitted the new cassette and it went the same distance on as the old one. I then gave it a bit more of a shove, and it went on the last few mm.
It fitted fine, and the lockring had plenty to grip onto.
So it was user error (mine) in fitting the cassette the first time. Bit odd how it wasn't flapping about though when riding.

Summary: wheels are good, benb needs to take more care.

Top Bottom