11 speed cassette barely fits on hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
File the burrs off that freehub while the cassette is off

No point if I'm returning it.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I suppose not, if that's definitely the plan..

Well unless I'm being thick, it's definitely not an 11 speed. Looks like wiggle supplied the wrong wheelset. I'd like to know for sure, but there isn't anything I can see that shows the exact wheel model.

Buddfox

Veteran
Well unless I'm being thick, it's definitely not an 11 speed. Looks like wiggle supplied the wrong wheelset. I'd like to know for sure, but there isn't anything I can see that shows the exact wheel model.

But isn't the model compatible (in theory) as a 10 speed or an 11 speed, depending on whether you use the spacer? Perhaps they have the description wrong, rather than having supplied the wrong wheel. Which would seem more surprising, it's not unusual for hubs to be both 10 and 11 speed compatible.

Given you bought them in January, are you expecting much luck? I've looked at all the photos and it seems curious to say the least.

U

User6179

Definitely no spacer.
View attachment 142961

Distance looks like 35mm which corresponds to the 10 speed dimensions above.
View attachment 142962

The cassette looks spaced together ok.

View attachment 142963

But the smallest sprocket is definitely proud of the hub.

View attachment 142965

Also, some of the splines on the sprockets look worn. It's only done 2,500km.

View attachment 142964

So maybe wiggle supplied the wrong wheelset.

The only id I can see on the wheel is a barcode A516809 and a sticker saying Pro lite certified hand built PL-05138154

Any thoughts before I send it back to wiggle? I've put the original rear wheel back on for now.

It looks to me like a 11 speed freehub , on your pic it measures 35mm till the end of the splines but is there not another couple of mm of freehub after that ?

Edit- I enlarged the picture and it is definitely looks like the size a 11 speed hub should be, I wonder if it was not put on correctly/went loose and now the burrs in the splines are stopping you getting it on correctly !?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
If that's the case, what should I do? file down the burrs, maybe get a new cassette and try again?

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hmm, maybe I've realised the problem.

The original spec was an 11-42 cassette on Vision Team 30 wheels.
So when I got a good deal on the Pro Lite Revo 25 I got a cassette the same.
However, I've just realised that the big 42 apparently needs an XD freehub.
So maybe the original wheels had that kind of hub, but the new ones didn't.
In which case I'll need to get an 11-36 cassette instead.

I can't quite tell how a larger biggest sprocket would cause this problem, but this article states it quite clearly, that the 42 needs a different freehub. http://road.cc/content/review/170051-sram-rival-1
I can't actually see in either wheelset spec where it states the type of freehub though, so not sure how I could have known in advance.
What a dummy.

So, looks like I can hopefully file the burrs off and put a new 11-36 cassette on. The loss of 6 teeth shouldn't make too much difference.

si_c

Guru
So, looks like I can hopefully file the burrs off and put a new 11-36 cassette on. The loss of 6 teeth shouldn't make too much difference.

Depending if your worried about it or not, you can get a replacement freehub body for that wheelset. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-replacement-shimano-freehub-bodies/
Not too expensive, and for me would be the preferred route as I'd be worried about the burrs reappearing and me having issues removing the cassette later.

U

User6179

Hmm, maybe I've realised the problem.

The original spec was an 11-42 cassette on Vision Team 30 wheels.
So when I got a good deal on the Pro Lite Revo 25 I got a cassette the same.
However, I've just realised that the big 42 apparently needs an XD freehub.
So maybe the original wheels had that kind of hub, but the new ones didn't.
In which case I'll need to get an 11-36 cassette instead.

I can't quite tell how a larger biggest sprocket would cause this problem, but this article states it quite clearly, that the 42 needs a different freehub. http://road.cc/content/review/170051-sram-rival-1
I can't actually see in either wheelset spec where it states the type of freehub though, so not sure how I could have known in advance.
What a dummy.

You could just take out the 42 and use spacers and run 10 cogs instead of 11 !?

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Or just a thought - is it an option to swap the freehub body for an XD without rebuilding the whole wheel? I'm not sure if it's just a case of replacing the body.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Top Bottom