11sp Mech Ultegra or New 12sp Ultegra Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VeloBoi

Regular
Hi all,

So I'm relatively new to road cycling, since the last year or so after I bought my first bike, a Giant Contend SL1 disc, which has served me well.
I am now looking at upgrading to a carbon bike, with a racier geometry, looking at an array of options including Giant TCR, Trek Emonda, Supersix Evo
as well as more value options from Ribble and Vitus; all with with mechanical Ultegra group set. I'll be buying via my work's cycle to work scheme,
which will bring a significant cost saving.

However, my eye has been turned by the arrival of the new 12 speed Di2 ultegra, and doing the cost calculation for some
of the bikes, with the c2w cost saving the the 12sp Di2 ultegra will come in at £525 more than the 11sp mechanical Ultegra.
In the grand scheme of things, given Shimano's intention to kill off Ultegra mechanical in a year or two, is it worth paying the
extra for Di2 to future proof. What material benefits does the Di2 bring over the mechanical Ultegra. I will not be racing, rides will
be mainly weekend 25 -50 milers with small groups of friends going as fast as we can ^_^.

Would be keen to hear people's thoughts and views.

Thanks

13 rider

Guru
Do you need D12 ? The answer to that that question is no . Is it nice to have ask anyone who uses it and that answer is yes
As for everyday riders will you notice the difference probably but it's very marginal improvement from mechanical to electronic shifting
Only you can decide if you can justify the extra cost . Shimano are constantly upgrading stuff but the old stuff doesn't go obsolete overnight so future spares is not an issue and all groupset are interchangeable ie if you can't get ultegra parts 105 will fit
As for bike choice I was torn between a giant and Ribble when purchasing my last bike . The Ribble offers fantastic value but only has a 3 year frame Warrenty ,The giant was good value but had a lifetime frame Warrenty . I went for the giant .
Also be aware there is a bike shortage so a possible long delivery time for an exact bike may be on the cards
Good luck on your hunt

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The advantages of electronic shifting will all be about "niceness". I've never used it but I've read reports of users and I know what they mean. By "niceness" I mean the satisfaction of using a mechanism that works smoothly and accurately and has a fine tuned feel.

When I got my 105 11 speed it was a quantum leap in "niceness" over my SRAM 10 speed, and a world away from my 8 speed friction shift bike.

Niceness is absolutely not a functional requirement in any way. But it is undeniably nice. Don't try to justify your spend by second guessing what Shimano may or may not do. Figure out your budget and if you like nice things and are prepared to spend on them, off you go.

Other people, entirely justifiably, draw equal satisfaction from simplicity. A solution that works adequately without frills and has a comfortable, reliable feel where you can be totally confident it isn't suddenly going to go unaccountably wonky. My 8 speed has that. No indexing, just you & a lever.

And then there are the penny-pinchers, who worry endlessly about how other people spend their money.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Which one will be best for your commute?
Factor in also the cost of replacement parts like chains and cassettes

Theres no noticeable benefits in electric changing - Shimano and co have got it nailed down now - click a lever, flick a button and the gears change.
Same with 12 sp over 11 sp. That's plenty of gears - when I started a 6 speed block was cutting edge - now it's double and I've still not gone to electric gearing.

One thing with Di2 is if it goes wrong - you have batteries, motors and cables to sort out - normal gears are easier. And if you have an off - or get a stick through your rear mech - di2 is £250 - cabled is £80. How good are your mates at riding in a bunch ?

No gear set will make you faster - training will. And maybe a set of deep rim wheels ? I'd be saving my money on the groupset and spending it on things that do make the difference.

vickster

Legendary Member
And why not? :smile:
Not really the point of the scheme imo :okay:
ymmv

Point about replacement costs stands though, 11 speed cassette £50, 12 speed £120?

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Nothing more to add, just remember what Eddy Merckx said:' Don't ride upgrades, ride up grades'. ;)
I'm going to make a bet that Eddy never said that. Given that for a significant part of his life he was in the business of selling upgades!

And him being Belgian makes him a bit unlikely to make a clever-clever English pun, using an American term for hills.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
11 speed Ultegra is now gone, with Shimano no longer producing this. Son no. 2's newly-arrived Ridley has it and was the last of the production batch. It'll therefore be on a bike that's already produced, rather than being 2022 kit.

12 speed Di2 Ultegra is the latest, but there have been issues with Di2 cables fraying in frames leading to expensive repairs / warranty aspects which cause a delay.

It'll depend upon your budget and what you'll use it for. 12 speed will cost you more to buy, and cost more to maintain until it becomes more mainstream in 2-3 years' time as there's a trickle-down effect.

Top Bottom