12 days, 887 miles, 2 punctures and 1 sore backside!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebel Ian

Got back in the early hours of the morning after a 16 hour trip back from Scotland. Very tired but elated. The anti-climax hasn't struck yet. It's just nice to be home!

The first two days through Cornwall and Devon were stunning weather but brutal landscape. We went right across Dartmoor National Park in blazing sunshine. That was hard. After that we had a week of getting soaked at least once a day, none more so that the journey between Lancaster and Kendal where we were cyling through rivers of water. Going under one railway bridge on the A6 the rain water had collected to form a small lake which came upto the hub on my front wheel as I struggled through it.

The roads in Scotland were truly terrible. Don't people pay their taxes up there?! How we didn't suffer broken spokes I'll never know. Once clear of Glasgow however the scenery is amazing. The road along Loch Lomond is great and then we climbed up and up into the Highlands. There really is no more beautiful place to cycle through.

Once through there we had brilliant weather for the final part of the trip. We chose the South side of Loch Ness which climbed steeply for several miles out of Fort Augustus. In the heat that was one of the harder parts of the trip. The final leg was great and once we successfully negotiated the Berriedale Braes it was easy(ish). We got the obligatory grey skies, rain and wind as we rode into JoG.

It was hard. Probably harder than I suspected as day after day of hills, rain and miles took its toll, especially on my knees and my ar*e! Should you do it though? Absolutely!!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
*passes soft cushion*

Well done!

Norm

Nice one, Ian. :thumbsup: My treat on the Costa next time... although you might want to drive into Eton rather than cycle again. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

Nice one, Ian. :thumbsup: My treat on the Costa next time... although you might want to drive into Eton rather than cycle again. :biggrin:

Yes, my emotions at the moment towards my bike alternate between wanting to get on and go for a ride to thinking about putting her on eBay and never riding again!

wintonbina

Über Member
Well done Ian,

I can certainly relate to the sore ar*e :rolleyes: . We were very lucky with the weather seeing what you encountered :tongue: Keep the bike mate although we did find the remnants of one in the sea at JoG :biggrin: .
Tony

Well done, I enjoyed reading the daily blog. Hope you soon recover

The roads in Scotland were truly terrible. Don't people pay their taxes up there?! How we didn't suffer broken spokes I'll never know. Once clear of Glasgow however the scenery is amazing. The road along Loch Lomond is great and then we climbed up and up into the Highlands. There really is no more beautiful place to cycle through.

Interesting. Going up more towards the east side of Scotland last month, I was very impressed with the Scottish roads, and found them in much better condition than the south-east.

Agree re the scenery in the Highlands. Truly stunning.

Mitz

Well done Ian
You know ........ the more I read about peoples experiences, the more I start to realise what we have taken on ..... and it frightens me
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

Well done Ian
You know ........ the more I read about peoples experiences, the more I start to realise what we have taken on ..... and it frightens me
biggrin.gif

Get some hill training in and it'll be fine. I'm rubbish at hills yet got up every one we faced without stopping. I did some of them incredibly slowly but I didn't stop on any. If I can do that, anyone can. Don't let stories frighten you. It's hard and there are times you feel like throwing your bike in the bushes but ultimately rewarding :smile:

Top Bottom