120 mile cycle, what should i eat/drink?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty. Little and often. I complete those distances on nothing but water (not a fan of energy drinks) and snacks at tea shops. Everyone is different, you might prefer a full english fry up every 15 miles. Find what works for you.

Dave.

wafflycat

Little & often. Keep hydrated & fed to keep blood sugar levels up. I find on a long ride, that I keep sipping at isotonic drinks and as regards food, I'm one of those sad souls that likes isotonic gels - specifically the High Five energy gel plus ones in raspberry flavour! Other things I've been known to take include flapjacks, malt loaf, banana, fruit cake, oatcakes, energy bars (I like the SiS cherry & vanilla ones). The other thing is to be prepared and take with you more than you think you'll need. Plus if you get the opportunity to stop off for a cuppa - do so. Take as many opprtunities to eat & drink as you can.

Moonlight

Sip water every 10 mins, sip energy drink every 30 mins and more energy drink towards the last 10 miles. Depending on your attributes and the climate you made need to drink more/less, one 800ml bottle of water every hour is a good guide.

As for food...I like a banana every hour with chocolate....Also I stop every 2-3 hours and have some meat and cheese sandwhiches....but that's just a custom of mine, you'd be best to find something to suit you.

Oh, and I always take flask of double shot, extra sweet coffee....but that might be a caffine addiction =D

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
dodgy said:
Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty. Little and often. I complete those distances on nothing but water (not a fan of energy drinks) and snacks at tea shops. Everyone is different, you might prefer a full english fry up every 15 miles. Find what works for you.

Dave.

I agree, and it deends what kind of a ride, what speed and what the time constraints are.
If there's no rush and I'm at a comfortable cruising speed then I like to have real food in my belly. Whilst energy drinks, flapjacks, jelly babies, apricots, nuts, malt-loaf, bananas etc are good to munch en-route (I like a short 5 minute break every 20-30 miles or so) I also like to have something substantial at just over half-way, say 70-80 miles. That might be a burger and chips and 2 pints of coke in a nice pub! Take it easy for the next hour and then roll on merrily with the 5 min cake-stops every 20-30 miles.
I usually have 1 bottle energy drink and 1 bottle water.

I might be unusual in this, but I find a good lunch good for energy, comfort and the soul. Nothing worse than being underfed.

Tynan

Veteran
uh huh, dunning on Sat

Should I get a second bottle then? I do recall getting through the single bottle quickly for L2B but it was a warm day, I had an idea that the night time would cool things down, I suppose I'll ride at a pace that keeps me in a light sweat?

going to like packing a picnic from the sounds of things

Top Bottom