125 miles - realistic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Thank you for all the advice. It's hugely appreciated.

Yes, I think the stiffness in my neck is an issue. There are a couple of things I think may be contributing. I need to replace my saddle because the one I've got isn't suitable for longer rides - just having to wait until the summer business slump is completely over before I can afford it - and I think I'm transferring a lot of weight onto my hands once the saddle starts to get uncomfortable. I also spend a lot of time in front of a computer (for work) so my next step if getting a more suitable saddle doesn't help will be to see a chirpractor and see if I've got posture related problems, which I think is very likely. After that, I'll look at bike fit. The other thing I noticed (during my ride today - another 40 miler) is the stiffness starts after long descents when I've been on the drops for a long time, so spending less time on the drops would probably help.

Superbadger, your sensible points certainly haven't put me off. Endurance events are called that for a reason, and the physical and mental challenge appeals to me. I'd much rather take the challenge to ride far than ride fast, and if I wasn't planning this (and my joints could handle it) I'd probably be training for a spring marathon.

I'm thinking of mid-May as a good time to do it, which gives me 7 months to prepare. The temperature shouldn't be getting higher than mid/high 20s then, but there will be plenty of daylight hours, and the chances of strong winds or rain are pretty low.

To be honest, it's going to be hilly - there's no getting around that here. I'd probably start the ride from the charity's shop in town, and then head inland, which would mean more climbing on the way out and more descending on the way back, so that's a positive.

Thanks for the link to the training plan, Jimmy. That looks very useful. It looks very similar to the kind of training plans beginning marathon runners use, but obviously with higher mileages.

good stuff Lulubel....:thumbsup:. 7 months is more than enough time to prepare and the suggestion of a riding partner is a good one. I in my 'comfort zone' doing solo but some find it hard..... I like your attitude in your response. Its the way i am.... 'Why climb that mountain?' coz its there and i know i can do it! You are not going to suffer mentaly with that mind-set. Thats the way to be in my opinion.:thumbsup:. Do some regular neck and back exercises at work and home. could be that simple.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Thanks for that.

I'm in 2 minds about the whole riding partner thing. In some ways, it would be nice to have some company - if I could find someone stupid enough to want to do it, which isn't very likely, to be honest - but at the same time, I do find it easier riding on my own. I'm very good at maintaining a constant level of effort, and generally descend fast if the road condition allows it, keep a reasonable speed on the flat, and slow right down (and sit back and take in the scenery) when I'm climbing. If I'm riding with someone who doesn't keep that same pattern - and, in my experience, most people don't - I start to tire very quickly. So, I wonder if I might be better just doing it on my own, and totally at my own pace.

I plotted a couple of possible routes into Map My Ride yesterday, and looking at the mountains that I've really got no choice but to cross in the first third of the ride, I'll probably swap my cassette for something a bit bigger. I've already got a triple with a 30/25 smallest gear, but I think I could get away with a 27 or 28 tooth large sprocket without changing the rear mech, which would give that extra bit of capacity to spin on the climbs and save my legs for later.

Once again i commend you on a cracking positive attitude...:thumbsup: Yea solo is the way to go i think... And it makes the challenge that more special for you. Oh one thing i never mentioned was Moral support; Near the end of my last tour when i was 'bushed!' a quick call home gave me a massive lift! Plus i knew i had friends and family waiting with a few cold beers! It did the world of good for the mind. Thats good news with the route,get them hills done early.:becool:. Well all you can do now is Train! Train! Train!:bicycle:. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom