14th April - Amersham pre-Fridays tour ride - 66 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bump%20013.jpg

I don't know why, but that pose reminds me of something from Shakespeare. Very noble.

Greg is indeed a very tough cookie. When I'd cycled back up the hill after a motorist saw us waiting in Great Missenden and told us there'd been an accident, I saw a scene of carnage with concerned cyclists, a slightly scraped fixie, a big pool of blood on the tarmac and an efficient rapid response ambulance man getting out equipment.

Greg meanwhile was sat on the kerb, blood dripping over his eyes and down his face, apologising for spoiling the ride.

The ambulance chap tried to make a point that everyone else had a helmet and Greg didn't although I commented that I didn't either. Maybe bad roads or riding fixed on a steep downhill were more of a problem. Who knows - stuff happens.

The fact he was making jokes as he got into the ambulance was a good sign and it was good to get the updates from Simon about his progress.

GWS Greg.

I don't know why, but that pose reminds me of something from Shakespeare. Very noble.
GWS Greg.

Off. Hello.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This no helmet mularkey....

Would that have stopped the split nose, the dislocated thumb, the hole on my forehead gouged by my glasses (ok - possibly they may have stayed put - still have to remove the flesh and hair from the frames - nice), the extensive and deep gravel rash on left side (knee, elbow, arse) minor gravel rash on right knee and elbow, other assorted spd pedal shaped puncture wounds, scrapes and abrasions?

The mark on my forehead, that's a burn, a hat band halo, yep, the twisting forces on impact caused my tweed cap 'aka the purple helmet', and the badges thereon, to twist around with enough force to burn and rip the skin on my head. Now imagine a plastic hat, strapped to my head, twisting like that. Those forces would have had nowhere to go except through my neck. Which is sore enough as it is.

It was a stupid avoidable accident caused by combination of over confidence on strange roads, excess speed for the conditions/poor road surface, and poor bike handling skills. Entirely my own fault. I am extremely lucky to still be walking and talking and eating solids. But not because I avoided a brain injury but because I dodged a broken neck.

imo anyway.

EDIT: this rant is not aimed at anyone on the thread, on the ride or at the lovely paramedics/ambulance staff and A&E peeps but at everyone who has since asked me "Why weren't you wearing a helmet?" in the manner of a Bateman cartoon.

over confidence on strange roads, excess speed for the conditions/poor road surface, and poor bike handling skills
Those are the exact factors (in varying combinations and/or degrees) involved in every crash I've ever had, on a bike or behind the wheel. Well, not the last one in the latter case but you get the idea.

I wish there was a consistently effective way of teaching (and learning!) good judgment, in addition to handling skills, in driving/cycling lessons.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The mark on my forehead, that's a burn, a hat band halo, yep, the twisting forces on impact caused my tweed cap 'aka the purple helmet', and the badges thereon, to twist around with enough force to burn and rip the skin on my head. Now imagine a plastic hat, strapped to my head, twisting like that. Those forces would have had nowhere to go except through my neck. Which is sore enough as it it.
that was my reading of it. The hat injury was pretty darn persuasive

But not because I avoided a brain injury but because I dodged a broken neck.
time will tell. That brain scan took all of ten seconds.....................

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
(Takes a deep breath)

I'll see if I can find a second date, to complete unfinished business. The OS and aerial maps suggest that it really ought to be possible to penetrate into the Waddesdon estate far enough to actually see the house next time - I'll potter up there sometime with my NT card and work out what's accessible (a) on a road bike, and (b) without forking out for entry.

There's also a bridleway through the Claydon estate, so with about 200m of grass track it will be possible to get right up to that house too.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It was a stupid avoidable accident caused by combination of over confidence on strange roads, excess speed for the conditions/poor road surface, and poor bike handling skills. Entirely my own fault. I am extremely lucky to still be walking and talking and eating solids.

Thank you for that. It might help remove some of the residual guilt - a Baptist upbringing has a lot to answer for...

The road surfaces are dreadful, aren't they - it's only seeing them with an outsider's eyes that makes me realise quite how bad. You may have noticed that I take a very assertive position on the road, and weave a bit more than is ideal - it's second-nature by now.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thank you for that. It might help remove some of the residual guilt - a Baptist upbringing has a lot to answer for...
No reason for guilt on your part, none at all , though I know guilt is an irrational emotion, thusly Et ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis, in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.+

The road surfaces are dreadful, aren't they - it's only seeing them with an outsider's eyes that makes me realise quite how bad.
there's no easy way to say it. It's a beautiful part of the world but, Stephen, your roads are shoot.

You may have noticed that I take a very assertive position on the road, and weave a bit more than is ideal - it's second-nature by now.
London types tend to hog the gutter, I was pleased to see my pool of blood was in a good strong primary.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That cap must have been a crazy snug fit!? Any idea what caused the twisting in the first place?
I didn't nail the landing properly. My right hand got left behind, I think, applying the brake, hence the borked thumb, and I pivoted from there.

The cap is just a normal fit but it doesn't normally screw on!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
(Takes a deep breath)

I'll see if I can find a second date, to complete unfinished business. The OS and aerial maps suggest that it really ought to be possible to penetrate into the Waddesdon estate far enough to actually see the house next time - I'll potter up there sometime with my NT card and work out what's accessible (a) on a road bike, and (b) without forking out for entry.

There's also a bridleway through the Claydon estate, so with about 200m of grass track it will be possible to get right up to that house too.
you can cut through from the Upper Winchendon Road to Silk Street (although you've got to floor it if you want to evade security) but I doubt you'll get round the old carriage drive without coughing up. To be honest the building looks like a hugely overblown Swiss toilet, but the trees (hauled up by horse and cart) are quite something.

waddesdon-manor-1152x864.jpg

Top Bottom