17th April 2015 Night Ride to Bognor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sagefly

Veteran
Tim I've got to pull out of this ride, brother from Aus is going to be in Barcelona that weekend.

Good news that the Whitstable ride is shifted but Bognor is my 2nd fav ride, still a chance my broth might be in London in which case I'll try and bring him along.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Yep - Still in :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm not fussed about the destination. I expressed an interest in Whitstable last night. I hope my ticket is transferable to Boggers. BTW, there was a hill on the way to Felpham that came as a bit of a rude shock to me last October. Is that Bury Hill, and if it is, could you give me a rough postal address so I can look it up on Streetmap? I've no idea if we will be going that way. There are some photos of us gathering at the bottom of it somewhere on this page..

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/friday-night-ride-to-the-coast-felpham-october-10th.164115/page-13

Thank you.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'm not fussed about the destination. I expressed an interest in Whitstable last night. I hope my ticket is transferable to Boggers. BTW, there was a hill on the way to Felpham that came as a bit of a rude shock to me last October. Is that Bury Hill, and if it is, could you give me a rough postal address so I can look it up on Streetmap? I've no idea if we will be going that way. There are some photos of us gathering at the bottom of it somewhere on this page..

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/friday-night-ride-to-the-coast-felpham-october-10th.164115/page-13

Thank you.
Twas Bury Hill. Streetview here.... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...m2!3m1!1s0x4875b0bd0ff848b3:0x2a4b576f11208a3

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
IMO the worst thing about Bury hill (A29 going South) is the road surface. It's that knobbly stuff that by design is horrible to ride on. When it changes to smooth near the top it's like the afterburners come on and my speed surges to at least 5mph.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
I'm doing a recce ride on Maundy Thursday and will be considering the options. The Gurkha bridge is great if the ground is reasonably dry. I have bad memories of some very selfish impatient drivers causing problems as we climbed Bury Hill in the rain, so I will have this at the forefront of my my mind when planning the ride.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think that was a consequence of it being a necessary decision taken on the ride, that the Gurkah path had become non-viable due to rain, so we continued on the B2139 through Amberley up to Bury Hill.
On other occasions, where it was known in advance that we would be going up Bury Hill, we have approached via Pulborough. It necessitates substantially different routes from Horsham.
Yes, the last time I rode up that hill (B2139) from Amberley was a summer's day and the road was very busy (holiday traffic?). While I don't remember any drivers being rude or impatient, I do remember it was rather claustrophobic and I made a mental note of avoiding it in future.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think that was a consequence of it being a necessary decision taken on the ride, that the Gurkah path had become non-viable due to rain, so we continued on the B2139 through Amberley up to Bury Hill.
On other occasions, where it was known in advance that we would be going up Bury Hill, we have approached via Pulborough. It necessitates substantially different routes from Horsham.
Fair comment. The B2139 climb isn't really a road for a large group.

What follows is aimed at posterity not @User

In case anyone cares you can take the Friday's Pulbogrough route out of Horsham and divert onto the B2139 quite easily just north of Pulborough if you want/need to.

En route to bogrough, leave the A29 at Codmore Hill, turning left through Broomershill. A283 heading south and take first or second right. either will do. First left, then second right and you are at Amberley through the lovely village and right onto B2139.

and, of course the reverse is true. On deciding the B2139 is not for you, and I've ridden with a group, rebellious coves to a man and girl, who refused to climb that way, "no bloody fear" they said, so you return to Amberley village and head across Greatham Common to Greatham. Turn left and cross the Arun at Greatham Bridge going straight on to Coldwaltham. Left onto A29 and shortly thereafter your Uncle is Robert, Bury Hill wise.

Some of us see both the B2129 and A29 as too effete. We instead go by way of West Burton and Bignor before granny ringing our way up the four chevrons of Bignor Hill. A great way to see stars in broad daylight. At the summit a brief grassy bridleway, easily manageable on 28c's, and a stretch of legal right of way white road down to Madehurst and thence Whiteways and Arundel, or Fairmile and Slindon/Fontwell.

The climb of Bignor Hill is something to tell your grandchildren about. So long as they are soft southern shandy drinking grandchildren.

Top Bottom