17th April 2015 Night Ride to Bognor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes, the last time I rode up that hill (B2139) from Amberley was a summer's day and the road was very busy (holiday traffic?). While I don't remember any drivers being rude or impatient, I do remember it was rather claustrophobic and I made a mental note of avoiding it in future.
The tunnel of trees at the start of the climb, which is also the steepest part, can certainly be oppressive in summer when one is alone on a bike with a nobber in a car draughting you.

Ooh, yes please, sir!

(email confirming details to follow)

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I have bad memories of some very selfish impatient drivers causing problems as we climbed Bury Hill in the rain

If we have to take the road, it may make sense to spilt the group into 4 or 5 smaller contingents with larger gaps in between them, as this makes it much easier for cars to pass. We did that on very busy roads approaching Bordeaux last year, naming a leader for each group and asking every one else not to overtake him. This worked pretty well.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If we have to take the road, it may make sense to spilt the group into 4 or 5 smaller contingents with larger gaps in between them, as this makes it much easier for cars to pass. We did that on very busy roads approaching Bordeaux last year, naming a leader for each group and asking every one else not to overtake him. This worked pretty well.
And, of course, you ask the leader not to close the gap on the group in front. Which I've seen go badly wrong in Welsh Wales...

Having done it a few times now, I've realised that you can't take more than a handful of riders in one go along the B2139 up to the A29/A284 roundabout. Climbing Bury Hill on the A29 would be much more preferable if the Gurkha bridge route is too wet.

However, once at the roundabout at the top, the A284 descent to Arundel is my preferred route, and then past Ford as normal, as you have far more space compared with descending the A29 and turning off at Slindon. Having been at the back several times we've gone down the A29, on that first section I've seen numerous very close passes by vehicles, and some riders have been been very lucky not to get taken out.

Last edited:

gerwinium

Can I join please? I'll send a mail with my details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that was a consequence of it being a necessary decision taken on the ride, that the Gurkah path had become non-viable due to rain, so we continued on the B2139 through Amberley up to Bury Hill.
On other occasions, where it was known in advance that we would be going up Bury Hill, we have approached via Pulborough. It necessitates substantially different routes from Horsham.
that's exactly right. That was the one occasion I slipped up. Riding at the back was terrifying - we were three abreast and I was way out in the centre of the road, but still and all half a dozen cars decided to overtake, notwithstanding the blind bends and the cars rushing down the hill toward us. We should have taken the A29 to Bury Hill.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
On the last ride to Felpham, we regrouped in a light drizzle, outside a castellated gatehouse at the bottom of a steep hill. I've been searching all over Google maps for it without success. Can anybody point me in the right direction? The StreetView images of Bury Hill show a road that looks far narrower than the one that defeated me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On the last ride to Felpham, we regrouped in a light drizzle, outside a castellated gatehouse at the bottom of a steep hill. I've been searching all over Google maps for it without success. Can anybody point me in the right direction? The StreetView images of Bury Hill show a road that looks far narrower than the one that defeated me.

Whiteways Lodge on the roundabout?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
upload_2015-3-15_18-54-1.png

Top Bottom