1940s Raleigh rescue - Should I or shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
I've got the same problem on a chainring. Still haven't managed to shift the pedal yet. It's in the "to do" box.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
The blowtorch is definitely outside of my comfort zone (and equipment)!
Trying a lazy fix on the pedals at the moment... Squirted in a bit of GT85, will leave for a bit and see if it frees up, then see if I can get any 3 in 1 down there. Not sure I have any imperial sockets to open up the locknut on the pedal either...

The chain ring and cranks cleaned up very nicely - always a satisfying job :smile: Unfortunately the chrome on the handlebars is pretty much shot, and they've almost rusted through underneath one of the grips, so these might be scrap.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Nearly finished stripping down the newer of the two frames now - pictures to come when I get some free time in the daylight!

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Here's where I left the frame last week:

P1010489.JPG

The BB was giving me big problems - the (adjustable) cup was stuck incredibly tight! Not having the correct spanner didn't help...

P1010491.JPG

With the help of my trusty vice (clamped on the cup and rotated to loosen the thread), I got there in the end...

P1010493.JPG

Next I sanded down the frame, forks, and mudguards.... doing this by hand is hard work! Was planning to get down to clean metal, but ran out of sandpaper and arm-power, so I think this will have to do... planning to use Hammerite to repaint so hopefully it won't matter that I haven't got rid of every last bit of rust.

P1010492.JPG

Also had a crack at the saddle on the older bike - scrubs up quite nicely. I still don't see why anyone would want to sit on one of these things when you could have chosen a nice B17 instead from the Raleigh catalogue at the time ;) But I will give it a go!

P1010498.JPG

Hoping to do a first coat of paint at the weekend or next week, weather depending. I've head Hammerite can take ages to cure, so it will give me plenty of time to start looking at the wheels and stripping down the other bike.

If anyone has any tips on frame painting with Hammerite (even if it's "don't" - I may yet be persuaded), I'd love to hear! Not sure whether to go for a brush or sponge, so will be a process of trial and error. There is a reason I am painting the less interesting of the two bikes first!

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've heard that Hammerite is really inflexible so it always flakes off bikes in hard lumps eventually and between cracking and flaking, it's letting water through and basically helping the metal underneath to rust. That's certainly what it did on garden metalwork, so I'm pondering Rustoleum instead, especially as I can get a closer colour match. What do you think?

I'm intending to brush it because I've done that before to good effect, although never yet on a bike, so I'll be interested if you find a sponge works better.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've heard mixed reports about Hammerite - people do either seem to love it or hate it (mostly the latter, but then these people also usually go on to suggest getting the frame professionally finished). The flaking off thing I've only seen when it's painted too thickly onto a less than perfect surface, but you're right, it could be an issue.

TBH it probably comes down to what they have in stock down at B&Q/Halfords/Wherever on the day, and whether I like the colour! Will let you know how I get on!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hammerite only sticks well to BARE metal, preferably with a tiny bit of surface rust so that it can chemically bond.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Hammerite only sticks well to BARE metal, preferably with a tiny bit of surface rust so that it can chemically bond.

Oh dear... thanks for the heads up. Do you know of any good alternative that you can whack over (partially) pre-painted metal? I most certainly do not relish the thought of getting every scrap of pain off of those two bikes! Don't mind a less-than-showroom-perfect finish, but it would be nice if the paint stayed on the bike.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Don't use Hammerite. If you must use brush on paint, there is a much better product. It is called Rust-oleum and it is available as brush on. I used the rattle tin version called Hard Hat. It seems (to me) to be a lot harder wearing than the big H and you can even clean the brush with white spirit and not the really expensive thinners Hammerite insist on!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't use Hammerite. If you must use brush on paint, there is a much better product. It is called Rust-oleum and it is available as brush on. I used the rattle tin version called Hard Hat. It seems (to me) to be a lot harder wearing than the big H and you can even clean the brush with white spirit and not the really expensive thinners Hammerite insist on!
If it thins/cleans with white spirit its an enamel type. :biggrin:

Top Bottom