1950's trike ID?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
trike1.jpg
trike1.jpg
trike2.jpg
trike1.jpg
trike2.jpg
Could anyone please name or suggest a possible make and model of this? I found a James on line that was quite close, but the 'chassis' was different. This has rear drum brakes which some have said are unusual, and (after looking at the pictures) the rear sort of carrier thing looks to have been fairly crudely welded on, so I'm thinking it's not original? Thanks in advance.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice :becool:

not a clue who made it though, sorry :cycle:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Drum brakes on both wheels is unusual. It looks to be one-wheel drive. James' generally had an enclosed differential.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Hadn't even spotted the '1WD' set up, cheers for that. Hopefully it'll help me find out what it is, will do some more digging later.

trike10.jpg

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Yeah, it'd be a bit of a challenge I suppose. Was going to try and make some crazy custom trike out of it, but have been advised not to and I think it's apparent rareness means it'd be a silly idea.
One back wheel is quite 'wobbly' I suspect bearing/s have gone, so need to work out how to remove it then see what I can do. I did try tightening the nut, but didn't make any odds. Not entirely sure what to do with it, probably just make it work better and put a wicker basket or old beer barrel on the back. Nothing that can't easily be reversed, though.

classic33

Leg End Member
George Fitt government contract?
images.jpg

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Thanks, that's very close save the brake lever and the back of the frame, I think. Could very well be same company and aslightly different design.

*Edit as typing: The Fitt one seems to have 24" wheels, this is fitted with 26" ones.

Thanks once again, all help is appreciated.

classic33

Leg End Member
OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Possibly, it's only because "1950's" was a guess on my behalf, and also because the Harding in the link comes up as 1939. I did try to message you personally to say thank you by the way, but I couldn't work out how to do it!

Top Bottom