1950's trike ID?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
My bum goes that far over without leaning :sad:
Look at it as being over the rear wheel.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you're used to a bike, a trike will feel as if it goes where it wants to. It's to do with your instinctive steer-on-lean reflex (that being how you balance on two wheels). It's remarkably difficult to unlearn. Crossing your arms on the bars is one trick said to work.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Well, local charity bike place managed to fix the back brake/s today. They're still quite poor but at least they work (after a fashion) so happy with that. As I was passing the place riding home anyway I dropped my modern Trek in as the gears were slipping, then rode the trike home. It was absolutely epic, was doing quite well until I came to a corner on the Millennium Path, right by a gang of youths with mountain bikes who were sat on a bench. Anyhow, I attempted to take the corner, ran out of talent, went across the grass and stopped a couple of foot short of the hedge. Got a round of applause and a huge laugh, which made my day.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well, local charity bike place managed to fix the back brake/s today. They're still quite poor but at least they work (after a fashion) so happy with that. As I was passing the place riding home anyway I dropped my modern Trek in as the gears were slipping, then rode the trike home. It was absolutely epic, was doing quite well until I came to a corner on the Millennium Path, right by a gang of youths with mountain bikes who were sat on a bench. Anyhow, I attempted to take the corner, ran out of talent, went across the grass and stopped a couple of foot short of the hedge. Got a round of applause and a huge laugh, which made my day.
Keep chanting "Inside foot down" (in your head, not out loud cos they'll think you're a nutter) as you approach a bend then put all your weight on that pedal.

classic33

Leg End Member
Given its age are the pads worn out, leaving metal rubbing on metal?

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Thanks.
I think the pads were ok, they'd stripped the wheels down and hadn't mentioned them, anyhow. The biggest problem had been the width length rod between the back wheels, it'd had pretty much seized up and took a lot of gentle persuading to move. It does operate now, but possibly not quite well enough to be effective enough to stop it.

Top Bottom