1950's trike ID?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Possibly, it's only because "1950's" was a guess on my behalf, and also because the Harding in the link comes up as 1939. I did try to message you personally to say thank you by the way, but I couldn't work out how to do it!
I noticed there were mentioned but pictures never loaded fully.

You've a possible start point. See what numbers are on the hub brakes to get a better idea of the age.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think we have a winner.
Only when up & running though!

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
It is! The tyres have held air and the front brake works. Tried to adjust the back ones, gave it up as a bad job as the rods at the front need to be sorted by an expert, not by a fat bloke who got very drunk last night.

It's erm 'entertaining' to ride, when you're 6ft 4-ish and 17 stone, that's for sure and I've only been about 25 yards so far.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
All trikes are "entertaining" to ride if you are not used to them :smile:

You can say that again,

BTW another vote for it being a Harding

1959harding_ad.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ditch the rear rack that was welded on, taking care not to damage the frame.
Then it's working out one sided mounted rear mudguards.
I've never fitted the ones that came with my trike, they clamp onto the rear wheel bearing's housing but being all steel they weigh a ton.

At least with a trike you don't get a wet bum though my elbows do catch a bit of spray. :giggle:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I heard it was your ears that took most of it.
Not a problem,

mZwA3TidrwWxLmHEmaWVjPA.jpg
:becool:

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Been thinking about the trike this morning. Having probably never ridden one in my life before, have no idea how they’re supposed to ‘handle’.
This seems fair on a straight flat surface, but get into the slightest rut or dip and it’s trying to pull to the left.
Hard to explain, but to any motorcyclists on here, it’s like the very first sign of a mild tank slapper coming on.
Do they all do this, or could it be because the nearside wheel is the only driven one?
Thanks, as ever, in advance.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
No, I managed to tighten that up in the end. I took the cover off the offside wheel, and underneath that was a nut. Tightened that, then backed it off a touch which stopped the wobble.
Need more practise riding it really, have it booked it to have the brakes looked at later in the week. If I sum up the bottle/have a longer trial run first, I may ride it there (only about 1/3rd of a mile) for a laugh.

Top Bottom