1963 Carlton Catalina

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Well here is my new project a Catalina, warts and all... more warts than anything! This is a 21-1/2" frame and is on a L prefix, so 1963 - same age as me. It has Capella lugs, chromed on the headstock. BB shell has Oscar egg lugs. Drop outs are Cyclo. Brazed on gear and brake fittings, with a braze on boss for the gear lever... hope the thread is OK! The frame has a lot of original paint and a lot more of extra paint in addition - much of it very rough and it clearly has had some sort of reaction from the wrinkling I can see on the surface. Head lugs are superb - I will carefully clean these and repaint the head stock tube by hand. The rest of the frame will be completely stripped by hand and I will clean, prime and paint myself.

News decals will be sought from H Lloyd Cycles. Im going to restore to near(ish) spec, although I fully intend to use a lot of good stuff I have kicking around the workshop, inc 3-pin steel cottered chainset, Weinmann 999 CP brakes and other bits and bobs. The rest I will source from Ebay, shops and other suppliers. This will be a long project with the frame being my most challenging part. The frame is marked/stamped - any help on these would be appreciated.

Sadly the forks were 'lost' by the courier company and I think there is little chance of them turning up. I do have the forks in the picture. These are from a 1971 Continental I had kicking around in the store, fortunately the frame is the same size as this one, sadly they don't have chrome fork tips. I have another set with chrome fork tips, however they are from a 22-1/2" Corsa frame but the steerer tube is too long.

Apologies for the large amount of images, I need record all the detailing to get this back to as near original condition as I can...

P9193628_zpseguf0arq.jpg

P9193629_zpsbaidxf8p.jpg

P9193631_zpsivrxyqb9.jpg

P9193632_zpsbdmyedzg.jpg

P9193633_zpsmeaw63lh.jpg

P9193634_zpsxnjbugbe.jpg

P9193635_zpswuqd5zws.jpg

P9193638_zpsz9x1ep7r.jpg

P9193640_zpspu6wnjvl.jpg

P9193642_zpsd58ffbiq.jpg

P9193650_zpst0xqopkn.jpg

P9193658_zps0n3p8ztm.jpg

P9193646_zps2fftporo.jpg

P9193647_zpsgg7zaoxi.jpg

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
That's going to be a cracker when it's finished.

midlife

Guru
Another fine looking Carlton heading back on the road :smile:. Carlton just managed to fit in the head badge, smaller frames had the points of the lugs filed off. Carlton detailing always makes me smile, the Capella lug transfer on the seat tube is a classic, I wonder if H Lloyd do it?

Best of luck :smile:

Shaun

midlife

Guru
It depends on the age of the frame, Carlton used the Catalina name for years and covered several generations of change.

Shaun

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Another fine looking Carlton heading back on the road :smile:. Carlton just managed to fit in the head badge, smaller frames had the points of the lugs filed off. Carlton detailing always makes me smile, the Capella lug transfer on the seat tube is a classic, I wonder if H Lloyd do it?

Best of luck :smile:

Shaun

They do!

mikeymustard

Veteran
That's like the ugly duckling, somewhere under there is a beautiful swan! I just love those headtube lugs, they're gorgeous

midlife

Guru
That's like the ugly duckling, somewhere under there is a beautiful swan! I just love those headtube lugs, they're gorgeous

Capella Lugs :smile: Carlton had a fascination with words beginning with "C" ..........

Shaun

PS just for interest I don't think the same thread on Retrobike has had a reply yet

midlife

Guru
Yep, same Capella lugs, superseded by the Crespera lug :smile:. When Carlton closed their doors they flogged off their kit and the lugs crop up from time to time, eBay or occasionally on the odd frame .

Shaun

Top Bottom