1963 Carlton Catalina

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
1963 Carlton Catalina (on an L prefix number)

After nearly two years since buying the beaten up frame, the machine is very nearly back on the road. I have a few final details to sort as well as a few minor technical niggles to address. This is my take on the famous mid range machine of the 60s. Only the frame itself was original, sadly a courier lost the original 3/4 chromed front forks, so I have used some 70s Continental ones instead.

The frame has been totally refinished by Catherine Neary at Dave Marsh's Universal Cycle Centre, in Maltby, Yorkshire. What a job they have done. This is a bright red flam complete with a faithful copy of the classic Catalina set tub graphics. Im particularly plese with the way the NOS 70s Bluemels co-ordinate with the seat tube blues. The frame also has its original headstock buckle badge, not a common sight, carefully put back on using original Carlton rivets. The headstock has been painted but the chrome is original - complete with a little bit of patina (well why not!).

Ive re-used a lot of parts from my other 'upgraded' bikes to build this machine, wheels from the Sun Snipe Prestige, rear mech from the Sun CB 10, hoods from the 1960 Flyer etc... I have firmly aimed this bike at the equipment level it might have had in its heyday. It will be kept as a simple 5-speeder. Bargains had for this machine include the NOS B17, sub £50, the NOS Bluemels guards and also the GB Hiduminium stem. Ive reused some barely used Michelin WTs from my current used stock 'store' again too good to waste. The red Carradice zip roll saddle bag was my one exuberant luxury buy in a limited edition red, I cant resist a saddle bag at the best of times, and this sumptuous little beast was too much to resist.

So there we have final adjustments next, a few little clips and trinkets to come, final check over and then a test ride. This will be strictly a dry weather bike - the original 4-dot blocks on the Weinmanns are for slowing down only!!

SPEC:
21.5" frame, Capella lugs and Truwel tubing (can't find a single 531 anywhere). Chrome headset lugs, Nervex BB shell and Cyclo drop outs. 27-1/4" alloy rimmed wheels, Gripfast No1 and No2 wing nuts. 49 tooth SA chainwheel on a traditional Raleigh BB spindle, Huret lever and Alvit rear mech driving a 24 tooth sprocket with a Shimano HS chain. Steel seat post with Brooks B17 saddle. Carlton C nut clamp bolt. Weinmann 730 alloy sidepulls, Weinmann 4-dot salmon blocks with NOS white ribbed cabling. GB Maes bars and Hiduminium stem through a traditional Raleigh/Carlton 1" threaded headset. Weinmann levers with white Carlton hoods. Lyotard pattern pedals with SA toe clips and new Christophe white leather straps. NOS red Bluemels inflator. NOS Blue Bluemels 'Popular' guards complete the look.

P9301721_zpsvjknhmg7.jpg

P9301728_zpsabcchqd3.jpg

P9301731_zpsqpyxjlwh.jpg

P9301732_zpspfxfuamw.jpg

P9301737_zpsvpqtjyph.jpg

P9301738_zpsjhjwxzbi.jpg

P9301740_zpsemwalxo6.jpg

Before:
P9193628_zpseguf0arq.jpg

wonderdog

This looks great ... I was mystified back a ways re the three quarter rear view of the Capella lugs but now see them full frontal - mystified no more. My Cobra has a later headstock badge with the cyclist graphics in pretty good nick. I've held off putting it back on because I wasn't sure that the seriously degraded blind rivets that I removed during the refurb were correct. I sourced some interference fit spiral rivets but these apparently aren't right. Question is, can I get the correct rivets anywhere? I haven't seen anything that small and have been fiddling with a larger rivet trying to get it down to the correct size - to no avail thus far. Every time I go out for a gallop - without the badge - I'm pleasantly reminded how comfortable the bike is. They certainly got something right.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
This looks great ... I was mystified back a ways re the three quarter rear view of the Capella lugs but now see them full frontal - mystified no more. My Cobra has a later headstock badge with the cyclist graphics in pretty good nick. I've held off putting it back on because I wasn't sure that the seriously degraded blind rivets that I removed during the refurb were correct. I sourced some interference fit spiral rivets but these apparently aren't right. Question is, can I get the correct rivets anywhere? I haven't seen anything that small and have been fiddling with a larger rivet trying to get it down to the correct size - to no avail thus far. Every time I go out for a gallop - without the badge - I'm pleasantly reminded how comfortable the bike is. They certainly got something right.

Thanks for your reply. Rivets can be sought from Dave Marsh at the Universal Cycle Centre, in Maltby, Yorks.

Had the first pic back from Dave Marsh In Maltby of the nearly finished frame. Just head badge, fork and races to go back on...

View attachment 373738

Great to see Dave Marsh is still doing this. I had a quote off him for a frame refurbish years ago, but ended up having a crank swap done instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom