1966 Dawes Debonair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@DCLane this is what you need

OK. Before I seem stupid I'm presuming it's anti-clockwise to tighten?

midlife

Guru
Thanks - tried it and we're turning the nut outside clockwise. So far it's not worked, but has squashed two washers. No movement at all.

Methinks it'll be off to my work's workshop to try in their vice.

If you are turning the nut clockwise aren't you tightening it as it has a normal right hand thread ?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks - tried it and we're turning the nut outside clockwise. So far it's not worked, but has squashed two washers. No movement at all.

Methinks it'll be off to my work's workshop to try in their vice.

Keep turning it and once it reaches the point where it won't turn it starts to loosen the cup and will normally unscrew out

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If you are turning the nut clockwise aren't you tightening it as it has a normal right hand thread ?

Not if it's a Raleigh base - clockwise apparently for one of those, anti-clockwise for French/Italian.

Keep turning it and once it reaches the point where it won't turn it starts to loosen the cup and will normally unscrew out

We've tried. I've had my 18yo on the nut end and me on the bolt end. It just won't move.

midlife

Guru
Not if it's a Raleigh base - clockwise apparently for one of those, anti-clockwise for French/Italian.

We've tried. I've had my 18yo on the nut end and me on the bolt end. It just won't move.

I've lost track now, quite easy at my time of life lol Which cup are you trying to remove and which bike?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

It's always worked for me I presume you have the nut on the outside ?

Have a good strong spring washer on the bolt end then a couple of flat washers each side of the cup and keep trying

Top Bottom