1980 Raleigh ‘Denim’ Eighteen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Got a Twenty folder that colour in the shed.

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Got a Twenty folder that colour in the shed. View attachment 531085
Wow, that's clean. Are you a secret time traveller?

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Lol. It is very clean and I haven’t touched it. I got it free too, though it’s still in my possession it no longer belongs to me, I’ve promised it to another forum member.
Well, its lovely. Mid to late 70s possibly ? (judging by the livery).

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

January’78. It’s the fourth Twenty I’ve owned and moved on. I’m more interested in Dawes Kingpins. A much nicer bike in my opinion and predates the Raleigh Twenty three years originally.
I haven't actually done a Kingpin yet, I have three in my boneyard shouting to be restored (or restomodded). I love the Kingpin's frame shape, and I suspect their build quality was a bit superior to that of Raleigh, by the 70s at least. For one of my birthdays as a kid, I got a Dawes Lightning racer, and it was lovely.

The other frame shape that I really like is often badged as a Vindec or Elswick; and it looks like this...
Vindec.jpg

Elswick.JPG

Again, I've got one of each in storage, just waiting for a new lease of life :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Day 6. Yet another short shift today, so not much to report. I blasted and coated the alternative (and less battered) front mudguard.

The rest of the time was taken up with the original front wheel. I disassembled the wheel and polished and serviced the front hub, with nice new 3/16” ball bearings.

The original rim was too bad even for a chromer to take on. So, following an acid bath, I’ve blasted, sanded, polycarbide-d, and Scotch Brited it, to some semblance of ‘half decent’.

Tomorrow (shedule permitting) I plan to give it the same treatment as the frame; i.e. Candy Red. Hopefully once rebuilt with nice new spokes the and shiny front hub, it will look ok. If it works, I’ll do the same with the rear.

Hopefully, I’ll have something photo-worthy tomorrow. TTFN

Chris S

Legendary Member
The original rim was too bad even for a chromer to take on. So, following an acid bath, I’ve blasted, sanded, polycarbide-d, and Scotch Brited it, to some semblance of ‘half decent’.

Tomorrow (shedule permitting) I plan to give it the same treatment as the frame; i.e. Candy Red.
Won't the paint come off the first time you use the brakes?

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Won't the paint come off the first time you use the brakes?
Evening. No, I’m using epoxy/polyester powder coat, so that won’t be a problem. Powder coated rims provide a slightly better braking surface than the old school chrome finish.

But, if I could, I’d still chrome everything. It’s just for too expensive nowadays, especially for a small scale project like this one. For a 451 rim, you’re looking at around £60 each. Ouch 😣!

Top Bottom