1980 Raleigh ‘Denim’ Eighteen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Aw thanks @ChrisEyles you’re a gent. I really enjoy putting these bikes back on the road. There’s plenty more where this came from 😊

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

So I took that AW hub apart; and discovered it had been originally fitted to the Titanic...
ADC62C28-123F-4586-8C75-A8A3225D55B0.jpeg

Then I cleaned up all the bits.
0BB3626D-C130-4294-897F-C19208550D1D.jpeg

And assembled my instruments.
10395720-02DA-44A8-B79F-AED2E58DCD4C.jpeg

Replaced all the bearings, and re-sprung the pawls
89942207-F313-4DAE-8886-FAA25F38D2F3.jpeg

Got the planets and the sun back in harmony.
6E725F5D-1541-43AB-BA96-2078D348F75A.jpeg

Buttoned it all back up.
ED764C74-AFDF-48C7-A146-2AAA3694BB18.jpeg

And had a nice chilled bottle of fizzy water 💦

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
3/16" for the big ball race (the one that allows the sprocket to turn at a different speed to the shell).

johnnyb47

Guru
Years ago back in the 80s when BMX bikes were all the rage i used to watch my mates doing stupid things on them. I was never into the BMX craze and my Peugeot road bike would be parked up out of harms way, whilst i watced the crazy stunts going on. They also used to hold dares of who could jump off the highest wall. The retaining wall was about 200 metres long with the field behind
, dropping away from around 3 ft to around 20ft. One of my mates thought it a great idea to borrow his mums Raleigh Twenty and join in the (as we called them "drop offs")
The kids with the there Raleigh Burners and Ammacos were soon flying off the edge of the wall upto around 5ft high as well as my mate on his mums Raleigh Twenty. With all the egging on going on, only the brave ventured further along going to around 6/7ft in hight.
That also included my mate on his mum's shopping bike, until the poor thing finally gave up with the frame snapping. We didn't see much if him for the rest of the School holidays funnily enough. From all accounts he got a good hiding and was grounded for wrecking his mums bike.😭

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Years ago back in the 80s when BMX bikes were all the rage i used to watch my mates doing stupid things on them. I was never into the BMX craze and my Peugeot road bike would be parked up out of harms way, whilst i watced the crazy stunts going on. They also used to hold dares of who could jump off the highest wall. The retaining wall was about 200 metres long with the field behind
, dropping away from around 3 ft to around 20ft. One of my mates thought it a great idea to borrow his mums Raleigh Twenty and join in the (as we called them "drop offs")
The kids with the there Raleigh Burners and Ammacos were soon flying off the edge of the wall upto around 5ft high as well as my mate on his mums Raleigh Twenty. With all the egging on going on, only the brave ventured further along going to around 6/7ft in hight.
That also included my mate on his mum's shopping bike, until the poor thing finally gave up with the frame snapping. We didn't see much if him for the rest of the School holidays funnily enough. From all accounts he got a good hiding and was grounded for wrecking his mums bike.😭
Love that memory, thanks. It reminds me of all the BMXing and MTBing we used to do in Northumberland in the 1970s; long before any of us had even heard of MTBs or BMX.. We did it on racers! (and occasionally our mums' shopper bikes).

Top Bottom