1980 Raleigh ‘Denim’ Eighteen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Front wheel with colour-keyed rim now built and initially trued. Just awaiting rubber.
6A50AF27-F5A8-4809-AD45-CA64D0FE9FA3.jpeg

I’ll do the rear wheel tomorrow :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

REAR WHEEL UPDATE: from the Survivor Bikes spokesman... “Uh, we have no spokes, man”.

Unfortunately, the lovely new spokes didn’t arrive yesterday, so the rear wheel will have to wait a wee bit longer. In the mean time, I’ve been raking through the boneyard (at a secret location in deepest darkest Southampton); and I’ve come across this little European foursome...
6C93AA31-EA9E-47DC-A600-48F17FC1BD88.jpeg

7EDF5344-D155-4B45-81C8-B50D02C155C3.jpeg

8423400A-A635-4DB2-97AF-9B99202DBDA2.jpeg

F3B77E44-1AE6-4928-80F8-215A877855CA.jpeg

They’re all pretty much badge-engineered variants of the same U-Frame bike, which were produced in their millions, under numerous brands. I’m going to do a bit of research on them though, just in case any of them have some significant heritage. I don’t want to restomod something of historic value, when I could instead do a faithful restoration.

Does anyone know much about any of these marques?

Can't help with identifying any of those marques, but as you say, millions produced under so many badges, would be surprised if any were rare and of historic interest. If you had the Raleigh Twenty that George Best sat on, just as they were being launched and promoted, I could imagine that being worth something, but then there's all the provenance stuff to think about. My personal approach with any of these small wheeled bikes would be to mod them and turn into something usable, rather than create something too precious to use on a regular basis. Others will choose a different path, and nowt wrong with that :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Can't help with identifying any of those marques, but as you say, millions produced under so many badges, would be surprised if any were rare and of historic interest. If you had the Raleigh Twenty that George Best sat on, just as they were being launched and promoted, I could imagine that being worth something, but then there's all the provenance stuff to think about. My personal approach with any of these small wheeled bikes would be to mod them and turn into something usable, rather than create something too precious to use on a regular basis. Others will choose a different path, and nowt wrong with that :okay:
Wise words @FrankCrank. I like the head badge design of the ‘Luxus Sport 80’ variant. It could almost be the basis of a restomod design theme; we’ll see.

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Ok, the spokesman tells me that the spokes are STILL outstanding :sad:.

Never mind, it’s giving me a chance to do an inventory, of bikes, parts, consumables and accessories.

Speaking of accessories, here’s a collection of period correct battery lighting. Some are NOS, and some are ripe for a restoration :smile:
33FE6ECA-0247-4AF2-9D09-B2BDD7211CC4.jpeg

D

Deleted member 1258

Never mind, it’s giving me a chance to do an inventory, of bikes, parts, consumables and accessories.

Speaking of accessories, here’s a collection of period correct battery lighting. Some are NOS, and some are ripe for a restoration :smile:
View attachment 533552

Struth, theres a blast from the past, most of the lights in the picture I've had at sometime or another.

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

These things are brilliant; especially coupled with a replacement Cree diode bulb.
06884EFA-EEC3-45D8-8237-442B5DB7D68D.jpeg

View attachment 533552
I like those plastic Pifcos they look a bit Soviet!
Yeah, they’re very obtrusive, but in a good way. I’ve got a couple of front ones, which are a bit rough, but by swapping around the bezels and lenses, I’ll be able create two decent looking sets.

I’ve got a few eastern bloc dynamo sets in the boneyard, but they’re not particularly inspiring design wise.

I think those Ever Ready metal ones will stand up to a gentle blasting and a bit of powder coat. I just need grind off a few all rivet heads to get them dismantled.

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

The spokesman says, "We've got the spokes, man!" But unfortunately we didn't get them until clocking off time; and tomorrow I've got a lengthy appointment in Dorset. Never mind, this build will get done. One day.

In the mean time, here's a sneaky peek at my first go at dismantling one of those old metal Ever Ready lamps. It involves cutting off one shaft retainer, and grinding the heads of three small rivets.
E2C1CAC2-C5AE-4A09-AE0D-74471917E732.jpeg

Top Bottom