1980 Raleigh Record Ace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some weeks ago I popped in to a Julian House Charity Bike workshop. I was out shopping with my wife and was just curious as to what bikes they had. I wandered around but nothing really caught my eye until I spotted some frames in a corner . I noticed one frame had Reynolds 531 transfers on it. I wasn't too sure what size it was ? Was it a 24 1/2 or 23 1/2 inch? I also noticed the name and make, Raleigh Record Ace . I had heard of the name being mentioned when researching my Carlton Clubman.
I asked how much they wanted for it and said that I would pop back in after we had done some shopping .
An hour later I popped back in and bought the frame.
When I got home the first thing I did was to give the frame a good clean. The Reynolds transfer had almost been obliterated but discovered that the frame and tubes were 531 with the main triangle being butted tubes. Most of the paintwork was in pretty good condition with a few scratches here and there. What some people call age related or patina. The real nasty area was on the right hand rear seat stay where there were two rusty areas. probably where a rear lamp had been clamped on . This rusty area was the first job to be tackled. I brushed on some rust removing gel and set about cleaning it up . After several applications it was ready for rubbing down and priming . I will tackle the spraying at a later date.
Sourcing parts was my next thought . I intended to use what parts I had in my spares box and borrow other parts from my other bikes. The wheels came straight off my Carlton Clubman. It would help me to do a direct comparison of how they felt. Both frames are identical when placed side by side , both being 23 1/2 inch . The only difference I could find was the mounting of the rear brake bridge, being slightly lower. This has allowed me to fit a pair of Campagnolo which had insufficient drop for 27inch wheels on the Clubman, there's no way I could fit 700's. I had a spare set of bars and brake levers, the cranks and saddle were borrowed again .
My first test ride was only short but I could immediately notice the difference between the two bikes. I have since put some more miles on the bike and find that the ride feels smoother than the Clubman. I am enjoying it and I'm also beginning to get used to the colour, a greenish shade of metallic Murray Mint.

Attachments

• IMGP1988.JPG
    IMGP1988.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP1990.JPG
    IMGP1990.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 50
  • IMGP1999.jpg
    IMGP1999.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMGP2017.JPG
    IMGP2017.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMGP2020.JPG
    IMGP2020.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMGP2021.JPG
    IMGP2021.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMGP2018.JPG
    IMGP2018.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 46

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looks good @Illaveago

Colour looks nice as well .

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Very nice :becool: and built at the Carlton factory.

I'd think it was originally built for 700c wheels with clearance for mudguards unlike my Road Ace which was built for 700c wheels and certainly no clearance even for 'shorties'

avecReynolds531

Veteran
That's lovely - a great find. Congrats!

rrarider

Veteran
Very nice :becool: and built at the Carlton factory.

I'd think it was originally built for 700c wheels with clearance for mudguards unlike my Road Ace which was built for 700c wheels and certainly no clearance even for 'shorties'
Yes it is Worksop built .
My 1984 Record Ace, which I bought new and still ride, came fitted with 27" wheels and mudguards. It has a Worksop frame number but was 'Hand-built in Nottingham' according to the decal. I believe that they transferred all the Carlton staff to Nottingham at about that time. I dispensed with mudguards a long time ago and also fitted 700c Mavic MA40s. Here's a photo of it a few years ago. ( I rode to the same spot yesterday on it but didn't take a photo)

14393825413_64d5a096ae_h.jpg RRA At
Canning Dock
by gwladys.street, on Flickr

Oh, I did take a photo yesterday
rra_at_pier_head-001.jpg

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My 1984 Record Ace, which I bought new and still ride, came fitted with 27" wheels and mudguards. It has a Worksop frame number but was 'Hand-built in Nottingham' according to the decal. I believe that they transferred all the Carlton staff to Nottingham at about that time. I dispensed with mudguards a long time ago and also fitted 700c Mavic MA40s. Here's a photo of it a few years ago. ( I rode to the same spot yesterday on it but didn't take a photo)

View attachment 514812 RRA At Canning Dock by gwladys.street, on Flickr
Yep mine is an 83 Road Ace and has a W prefix frame but I think that may have been built after Raleigh closed Worksop and opened a new department where the ex Carlton frame makers worked although a few had already gone to Ilkeston and the newly set up SBDU works. It didn't have wheels when I got it but the Wienmann callipers (type 500 recessed sleevenut version) were set up for 700c wheels however they were swapped for 105 twin pivot by me.

I doubt whether 27" would have fitted under the brake bridge but they could have possibly done with skinny tyres but I think the brakes would have been too long despite being very short reach callipers.

I also think the Record Ace was more of a traditional 'Clubman' bike with the Road Ace being more of a 'competition' bike.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi @raleighnut
is that a Rivet Diablo saddle?
Nah that's a Brooks Swallow Titanium Limited Edition 2004, one of only 999 made and coming with a certificate of authenticity signed by the Master Saddler who stitched the edges. It was thought to be the last run of them but 2 years later they came out with a black version again limited to 999 and priced at £589 on the Brooks website. I don't know what mine should have been but I paid £200 when Alex decided not to renew his stewardship of 'the Bike Park' in Leicester and retired although his brother Martin still runs 'Websters' cycles although they moved out of town to Wigston.

Top Bottom