1982 Claud Butler 531 Majestic - Project #10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I picked this up last week, its in very nice condition, just neglected. The frame number dates it at 1982. The rear wheel is a Mavic open 4CD with a 6 speed cassette (the front Mavic open wheel is missing) and it's been updated with a Suntour front and rear mech and a Stronglight chainset, so at one time it was probably a very nice bike.

It is a very tall frame 23.5” so sadly far too big for me, my plans are to dismantle it and sympathetically restore it over the Christmas break :cold: (I've already sourced a replacement matching front wheel) The frame is in really nice condition so should come up really well, I really like the colour! :wub:

As the bike was given to me, and costs will be around £100, I should actually make a profit on this one. :hungry:

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice one. I remember these very well, they were the mainstay of the CB range in the early eighties.

Drago

Legendary Member
Gunk, I've a complete, good condition front mudguard, still with the original mudflap. If you're ever up my end you can have it for free.

Edit. Having said that, its an ESGE from an 83 bike and is a little different, but the offer is there.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Yep, the Speedy London cyclecommuter’s weapon of choice....
Those with Panniers (Karrimor green) chose the Dalesman.

I'd still class the Majestic as a light touring/sports/fitness frame nonetheless. After all the back wheel is not jammed right up against the seat tube, there's plenty of room for proper mudguards, and the wheelbase is fairly long. It's not a dedicated racing bike, but rather one of those versatile genres of bikes that we used to call "racers" that were rarely actually used for racing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd still class the Majestic as a light touring/sports/fitness frame nonetheless. After all the back wheel is not jammed right up against the seat tube, there's plenty of room for proper mudguards, and the wheelbase is fairly long. It's not a dedicated racing bike, but rather one of those versatile genres of bikes that we used to call "racers" that were rarely actually used for racing.
Absolutely. A proper bike ;-)

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
So project Number 10 has started.

It didn't take long to strip, the mudguards are scrap and I won't be replacing them but I did remove and keep all the hardware for spares and drilled out a couple of the bridges as parts are hard to find and expensive.

The bottom bracket has been changed for a slip in sealed unit (The threads are toast) anyway it was stuck solid but my breaker bar extension soon had it out.

I clamped the fame in my new bench mounted stand, which I'm really pleased with, it puts the frame exactly where I want it and saves loads of space in my very tight workshop area of the garage.

The frame needs quite of bit of work but I am confident it should come up well, I am not repainting it as my preference is originality so I will lacquer over the chain stay once it's cleaned up.

This one is quite involved as every component is filthy, but I have plenty of time. First job will be the frame.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The frame and forks are now cleaned up and polished. I used fine wire wool and WD40, I then cut the paintwork back using cutting paste. I also lacquered the seat and chain stays. I'm really pleased how it has come up. I really love the colour!

I will detail it again before I start reassembly

Last edited:
Top Bottom