1982 Claud Butler 531 Majestic - Project #10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The Raleigh Classic I restored in the summer was a 531c frame which was strange for a touring bike, didn’t feel any lighter than a regular 531 frame.

531c was the default version of 531. Not all touring frames were built using the ST tubeset by a long way. My Raleigh Royal is obviously a tourer, and is standard 531. My Gemini hybrid, although not marketed as a tourer, was listed in the catalogues as having a touring geometry frame but again is regular 531.
Not everyone particularly wanted the 531ST tubeset, as it had a reputation of being a less forgiving ride when lightly laden, compared to regular 531. Other riders would moan that regular 531 was too flexible if heavily loaded, so there was no pleasing everybody!
I really like the ride quality of regular 531, especially with 531 forks. It will be interesting to compare against my Royal, how my Ian May 531ST frame rides, as the mechanicals were in a state when acquired, so I was never able to test ride it before I stripped it down. My best guess is that it will need to go up one tyre size to compensate for being more rigid, if I want the same comfort. We will see.....

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
531c was the default version of 531. Not all touring frames were built using the ST tubeset by a long way. My Raleigh Royal is obviously a tourer, and is standard 531. My Gemini hybrid, although not marketed as a tourer, was listed in the catalogues as having a touring geometry frame but again is regular 531.
Not everyone particularly wanted the 531ST tubeset, as it had a reputation of being a less forgiving ride when lightly laden, compared to regular 531. Other riders would moan that regular 531 was too flexible if heavily loaded, so there was no pleasing everybody!
I really like the ride quality of regular 531, especially with 531 forks. It will be interesting to compare against my Royal, how my Ian May 531ST frame rides, as the mechanicals were in a state when acquired, so I was never able to test ride it before I stripped it down. My best guess is that it will need to go up one tyre size to compensate for being more rigid, if I want the same comfort. We will see.....
I have a 1997 Dawes Horizon that is a 531ST frame set and forks. I believe it was really a down graded Galaxy with lower spec Acera groupset.
I have always found it a really comfortable ride loaded or not.

Thanks, it’s given me something to do over the Christmas break especially as the weather has been too cold to ride either motorcycles or bikes and I’m not very good at just sitting around!

This one was going to be thrown in to a skip, so there is a small sense of achievement that I’ve managed to preserve it and give it a new lease of life. Hopefully the new owner will be really pleased with it, if had been smaller I would have kept it a little while and enjoyed it. Sadly all the really nice builds I’ve done have been huge frames.
I don't understand when you say that the frame is too big for you when you have that amount of seat post showing ?
Couldn't you just vary the position of the saddle if the reach to the bars is too great? It seems a shame to sell on a bike which is good and that you have put all that work in to .

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I don't understand when you say that the frame is too big for you when you have that amount of seat post showing ?
Couldn't you just vary the position of the saddle if the reach to the bars is too great? It seems a shame to sell on a bike which is good and that you have put all that work in to .

the seat is just raised for the photos so you can see the flutes on the seat stem. I can ride it with the seat lowered.

I know you may think it is crazy to let it go, but this is what I do and don’t really need to keep any more bikes!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Off to it’s new owner

Top Bottom