1982 Claud Butler 531 Majestic - Project #10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Friction shifters stripped, cleaned and rebuilt.

0AA950CC-CD66-47F7-9B31-1238A0249DDE.jpeg

Headset also deep cleaned, new bearings fitted and forks back on.

8D8849B5-C869-4D38-8F47-91F5068422D6.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I started cleaning the rest of the groupset this afternoon.

The chainset came up well, the rear shows you the state of everything else. I nearly threw the rear mech away but with some patience that and the front mech have come up well. Next job is to strip and rebuild the centre pull brakes.

697902F6-1F41-4F1E-ADD2-444898054FBF.jpeg

55157DF3-4854-4BE4-8BB0-CB7E653AB530.jpeg

8723A0C4-6B64-41E6-870D-4AD9755D5258.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
As I have some time, my goal is to get it finished today. This morning, I cleaned and polished the bars and stem (lovely quality British made GB stuff) I also stripped and deep cleaned the levers and fitted replacement hoods, cabled everything up and moved the bike to the main workshop stand for final assembly.

I also managed to clout my shin on the bloody Turbo trainer!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The Claude Butler brand has certainly come a long way since that old thing was made.

Very true, these Holdsworth era bikes were really desirable back in the day, they are a joy to restore, everything is serviceable, it's very rare I ever have to throw anything away.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
That looks amazing - nice work :notworthy:

Thanks, it’s given me something to do over the Christmas break especially as the weather has been too cold to ride either motorcycles or bikes and I’m not very good at just sitting around!

This one was going to be thrown in to a skip, so there is a small sense of achievement that I’ve managed to preserve it and give it a new lease of life. Hopefully the new owner will be really pleased with it, if had been smaller I would have kept it a little while and enjoyed it. Sadly all the really nice builds I’ve done have been huge frames.

midlife

Guru
Is that saddle at the right height for you? BITD it was expected that the seat post stuck out about a handful. If the saddle is OK then its about your size.

Top Bottom