1990's Orbit Italia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I've read , Dudley, Sheffield , Leeds.

I have been out in the cold this morning washing and polishing up the bike . It seems to have been pretty well looked after. The things which are letting it down are the chrome cranks and forks . The rest of the bike looks pretty good . The brakes are nice and clean , there was a bit of dirt collected on the rear mech idlers, the chain doesn't look that old . I have polished up the frame and that looks pretty good too. The lugs are very neat. I think that the stem is definitely too long . I will leave it as it is until after my first test ride .

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
This is my 80’s Orbit Thompson, 531 frame, built/brazed in Sheffield. I’ve owned this since around 1990.
IMG_8710.jpeg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The early 90s ones were made at the Peartree Industrial Estate in Dudley. I picked mine up from there in 1992. They later relocated to Sheffield.

Build quality was usually "workmanlike" but the paint was good.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've read , Dudley, Sheffield , Leeds.

I have been out in the cold this morning washing and polishing up the bike . It seems to have been pretty well looked after. The things which are letting it down are the chrome cranks and forks . The rest of the bike looks pretty good . The brakes are nice and clean , there was a bit of dirt collected on the rear mech idlers, the chain doesn't look that old . I have polished up the frame and that looks pretty good too. The lugs are very neat. I think that the stem is definitely too long . I will leave it as it is until after my first test ride .

The cranks aren't chromed, it's either a paint or anodised finish which has corroded and flaked off. A bit of judicious scrubbing with Scotchbrite or a green kitchen scourer should improve the look

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
The cranks aren't chromed, it's either a paint or anodised finish which has corroded and flaked off. A bit of judicious scrubbing with Scotchbrite or a green kitchen scourer should improve the look

I'll have another look . I think it will need a wire wheel as it is bad. I haven't really inspected them closely but they do look ghastly.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have been trying to find some info about the company but as others have found out there doesn't seem to be much about . The company seems to have started in Dudley West Midlands in 1982. Frank Clements was involved with the company . I'm not sure if they merged with Sirius or were taken over by them later. They also seemed to have moved to Sheffield at some point .
I'm trying to figure out the age of my bike . It looks like a standard lugged steel framed bike with caliper brakes which I would date to the mid 80's . The style of graphics have changed on their bikes a few times which doesn't help in identifying a year either but I am thinking that my bike is possibly from the late 80's, it's what I am going with at the moment.

Top Bottom