1991 Raleigh MTB, thoughts please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
1. Cut about 3cm from each end of the handlebars as I didn't like the wide arm position - big improvement.

How wide were the bars before you pruned them? I'm not a big fan of wide bars on MTB's either, but my own old Raleighs don't strike me as overly wide at 23".

5. Finally found and fitted a Mirrycle MTB mirror. I can't recommend these highly enough.

View attachment 550157

Do you get any vibration issues with these? The mirror head looks very similar to what was originally factory-fitted to the wings of my Series 2 Land Rover, and they are very prone to vibrating to the extent all you get is a fuzzy image. I ended up fitting more modern Defender ones.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
How wide were the bars before you pruned them? I'm not a big fan of wide bars on MTB's either, but my own old Raleighs don't strike me as overly wide at 23".

Around 26" as supplied. It was like being a kite on a windy day. They are now 22-23" and perfect. They were not the originals, but a new alloy item with the right bend and, crucially, not the original steel bars with the blue/green speckled paintwork that looks so good on the rest of the frame. Those are still in the shed, and will stay there. Painted handlebars - er, no.

Do you get any vibration issues with these? The mirror head looks very similar to what was originally factory-fitted to the wings of my Series 2 Land Rover, and they are very prone to vibrating to the extent all you get is a fuzzy image. I ended up fitting more modern Defender ones.

No issues at all. I've had them on the ebike and commuted about a year with them, and they became indispensible. They don't vibrate at all under normal circumstances, and the 'glass' (probably not glass) gives an optically clear image. I can glance in them and get a very accurate picture of the chasing pack (tractors and 4x4s with the occasikonal MAMIL round here) in a fraction of a second. By contrast, the cheap Halfords mirror that I had on the MTB before was blurred and fuzzy even on a smooth surface. I've had series Land Rovers and even Defenders, and these mirrors are vastly superior to anything from Lode Lane! I can't recommend them highly enough, and I would have one on the Carlton if it wasn't so much easier to duck your head and glance behind with the drop bars.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Around 26" as supplied. It was like being a kite on a windy day. They are now 22-23" and perfect.

Some of the early Raleigh Pioneer hybrids had 26" wide bars from the factory, I don't know how the original owners tolerated them. I've got a set and I also cut them down to 23" and it made a noticeable difference. Wide bars are just a gimmick on bikes unless you are riding on extreme terrain. All they do is make passing other riders more tricky and are more likely to get caught up in the undergrowth when off-tarmac. A real pain, TBH.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice work I have wrapped similar bars and used the normal caps pushed in the end will the extensions not fit over tape ?

There's a lot to be said for the older MTBs with no suspension .

I have an original well used Marin and my recently acquired Bob Jackson mtb that i am thinking of using as my winter bikes this year .

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The bike still has the original Biopace chainrings, and in good order. I am keen to keep those. I know they’re not universally popular,

Perhaps mainly not liked because of dubious benefit over circular chainrings, they are perfectly good as chainrings generally (commuted for 10 years on a Muddy Fox Courier, but only about half the time on Biopace- got some round ones as replacements because Biopace were hard to come by)

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Perhaps mainly not liked because of dubious benefit over circular chainrings

Hmm. I say I like them, mainly because they are original to the bike and I wouldn't want to change for no good reason. To be honest, there isn't a huge difference between Biopace and circular rings as far as my legs can tell. Perhaps a slightly more knee-friendly action when churning up a long hill, but I accept it may all be in the mind.

Trent Tourist

Über Member
Enjoyed this discussion. Your Amazon looks the biz Richard. Glad I’m not the only sprung Brooks saddle nut. I’ve just acquired this 1995 Raleigh MTrax 2000 from a club member who bought it earlier from a lady who hadn’t used it. Mint condition, sprockets still clean.the original stem had a small crack, manufacturing fault. This shorter one suits me better anyway. Reynolds steel butted tubes, only weighs 27lb.

Top Bottom