1st Autumn/Winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VeganWheels

Starting to feel comfortable calling myself a 'Cyclist',so this will be my first Autumn/Winter as a Cyclist.

Any advice would be welcome, on what to expect etc

Think I have covered most bases from a clothing perspective.

Is there any kit I should be buying for the Bike?

Are winter tyres a thing?

si_c

Guru
Starting to feel comfortable calling myself a 'Cyclist',so this will be my first Autumn/Winter as a Cyclist.

Any advice would be welcome, on what to expect etc

Think I have covered most bases from a clothing perspective.

Is there any kit I should be buying for the Bike?

Are winter tyres a thing?

Mudguards.

You can get all weather tyres which suit a better range of conditions than light-weight summer tyres, it depends on what you are running now. I run either Vittoria Zaffiro Pro or Bontrager AW2 tires through winter - both in a 28c size. Wider tires will give you a bit more confidence in crappy road conditions.

Edit to add: Plenty of threads on here about winter clothing - but it boils down to layers. Lots of thin layers keep you warm and help regulate temperature.

vickster

Legendary Member
Be very careful if wet and especially icy - avoid drain covers, white lines and if frosty, shady areas especially!

You need lights of course, don't get caught out without any and check they work, two in the back is a wise failsafe/ Make sure you have reflectives in clothing and bike

You can get ice or snow tyres if really hardcore

The danger period is that time when the sun is low during commuter hours, esp if you have an E-W road direction.

Waterproofs are best saved for rainfall. A windproof will keep you more comfortable on most other conditions.
Sleeveless light insulation or gillet is a really handy layer that you can use over your shell on cold mornings then easily remove. You can usr it under the shell for more insulation. An enforced maintenance stop will chill you rapidly.
Buffs/ headover neck loops + backup wooly hat or extra neck loop.
Waterproof footwear ( boot, bootee or sock)
Full mudguards.
Reflectors allaround + lights.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Winter tyres are a thing. There's a dispute between winter compounds like Continental use (might be called Top Contact, I think) and studded tyres for ice grip like Schwalbe use (Winter, Marathon Winter and Snow Stud).

I favour military boots, ski mittens (but my gear controls allow that while brifters my not) and hiking waterproofs, but I'm not a fast road cyclist and even less so in winter!

The other non clothing things I'd recommend are good lights (enough threads on that on here!), Long mud flaps and consider a chain guard to reduce the road crud hitting it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Winter tyres are a thing. There's a dispute between winter compounds like Continental use (might be called Top Contact, I think) and studded tyres for ice grip like Schwalbe use (Winter, Marathon Winter and Snow Stud).

I favour military boots, ski mittens (but my gear controls allow that while brifters my not) and hiking waterproofs, but I'm not a fast road cyclist and even less so in winter!

The other non clothing things I'd recommend are good lights (enough threads on that on here!), Long mud flaps and consider a chain guard to reduce the road crud hitting it.

Clothing wise it is better to be wet than cold. Windproof is better than waterproof, most cycling clothing isn't truly waterproof anyway. Winter boots or decent overshoes. Decent winter gloves are essential IMHO. Reflective accents or panels trump hi viz/fluorescent every time for me

Reliable lights with enough power for the riding you are doing. If it's all urban riding on lit roads you still need lights,but maybe not as powerful as for rural riding. One white light needs to be detachable to use as a torch of the bike in case of a mechanical.

Mudflaps( full if possible).

And a sense of humour.:rolleyes:^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Clothing wise it is better to be wet than cold. Windproof is better than waterproof, most cycling clothing isn't truly waterproof anyway.
Maybe but when I get wet...I get cold very quickly especially in cooler weather (not so bad on a hot day)! So actually boil in the bag isn't necessarily bad for me if it warms me up!

Reactions: mjr
Maybe but when I get wet...I get cold very quickly especially in cooler weather (not so bad on a hot day)! So actually boil in the bag isn't necessarily bad for me if it warms me up!
My favourite winter shells are Paramo and Buffalo style pile/pertex. Both are windproof and handle water well without being boil in the bag waterproof. For me, Paramo is good below 15C and pile/pertex is for below 5C. On cold, damp, raw days you can be warm and comfortable without getting clammy.

Windproof winter jacket for sure. Make sure it's not too tight, so you can get enough layers under it, but also that it's not too baggy that you can get a gilet over it. A fleece beanie or skullcap that fits under your helmet is always a good bet - and make sure it covers your ears. And good winter gloves - though that's very much an individual choice.

If, like me, you are a rural rider, then you will need to be aware that after sunset, the temperature will drop like a stone, as what little daytime heat that you get, doesn't get held in by buildings as it will in urban areas. So if riding around that time of day, take an extra layer with you. Being far too cold on a bike is a truly miserable experience.

For the bike - lights definitely. I'd suggest one set of USB and one set of battery. Battery life (especially for the rechargables) really suffers when it's cold, and you really don't want to be caught out. And reflectives. You can get tyres with reflective sidewalls (e.g. Schwalbe Road Cruiser Plus), and I really dig those spoke reflectors as well.

And effective mudguards. The roads here are ghastly during the winter.

vickster

Legendary Member
My favourite winter shells are Paramo and Buffalo style pile/pertex. Both are windproof and handle water well without being boil in the bag waterproof. For me, Paramo is good below 15C and pile/pertex is for below 5C. On cold, damp, raw days you can be warm and comfortable without getting clammy.
I'm not going to spend £100+ on a jacket that I use occasionally - I don't ride in the wet if at all possible in winter as it's miserable! My old Altura nigh vision evo is fine with layers if not really waterproof, and I'll use windproof jackets on dry days.

I don't ride late either as I'm not keen on cold and dark (no longer a commuter so I can happily pick when I ride)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Your legs will turn to mush in early November and power will drop. It's day length-related (you are just an advanced monkey, after all) and you can only avoid it by moving to the southern hemisphere.

You get it back in late March, usually around the time it's first warm enough to wear shorts again.

Top Bottom