1st cyle holiday - London to Amsterdam (solo)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I've just booked my ferry and hostel tickets for my first attempt at a small cycling holiday to Amsterdam next weekend.

Due to time restrictions and prior engagements I won't have time to cycle all the way to Harwich, so I'll be getting the train about halfway-ish and cycling the last 20/40 miles. Overnight ferry on Saturday night, then cycle up to Amsterdam where I'm meeting a couple of friends, who think I'm crazy and have promised to buy all my drinks on the first night if I make it. I don't think they realise that cycling less than 50 miles a day isn't really that big of a deal :cheers:.

3 nights booked in the Stayokay Vondelpark hostel, before I cycle back to the ferry on Wednesday and I'll cycle all the way back to West London on Thursday.

Really looking forward to it :bicycle:

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on what I should take?

I'll have 2 panniers (not huge but should be big enough), and I need to get some sort of smaller bag to keep my money/passport etc in and is easy to whip off the bike when I go into a shop or pub (top tube/tri-bag?).

I'll be riding my single speed Ridgeback Solo so I hope the wind's in my favour!!!!

willem

Über Member
See here for the Dutch cycle route planner: http://www.fietsersb...tsrouteplanner/ I am afraid as yet it is still only in Dutch. I am sure you will enjoy the ride. Lock up your bike in Amsterdam, and use a real lock. As for an extra bag: the handlebar bag ussually serves as the equivalent of the ladies handbag.
Willem

U

User169

Fortunately, navigation won't be much of an issue: just follow the signs up the coast and then take a right somewhere around Zandvoort. Alternatively, you could take a more inland route through Delft and Leiden if you want to see either of those cities

In Amsterdam, avoid the area immediately around Central Station and you can't really go wrong.

Top Bottom