1st ever sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MDA 998

looking to get off my butt this year and enter my 1st ever sportive but only looking at something like 30 miles to start off with, in the East.
Any advice on what and how much to take as I don't want to overload

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
For thirty miles spare tube, levers, multi tool and a bottle of drink.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Kit is covered above - maybe add a lightweight foldable jacket if the forecast is dodgy and some Haribo or energy bars to snack on.

From experience UKCE events are generally well organized and have decent stuff at the feed stations. Velo29 events have the best food I've encountered but I don't know if they get as far south as you.

Sharky

Guru
In addition to all the tips above, and assuming you have a mobile. Make sure you have the organiser's number stored and of any mates riding with you.
On an organised ride, there is always somebody who will stop and help.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Alternatively, if you're not happy with navigation, there's a group of us riding out from Lynnsport at 10am each of the next three Sundays, building up to 32 miles with a break IIRC. This Sunday is 20 miles flat loop, then a cafe stop in Lynn for anyone who wants it - an easy start. Next Sunday is 20 miles rolling hills loop, slightly harder. Then the 24th is 16 miles rolling hills, a walk through lots of snowdrops (£5 entry to charity IIRC), lunch (or take sandwiches because it's usually chaos) and 17 miles rolling hills back - a day trip of more than 30 miles. All welcome http://www.klwnbug.co.uk/2019/01/13/februarymarch-rides/

Then to do a sportive, you might only need to speed up slightly to meet their time limit.

Top Bottom