1st ride out. Is it normal for my sit bones to still hurt the next day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wardy940

Regular
Hi,

As the title suggests, I've just been on my first ride out yesterday. It's been a few years but managed 8.3 miles. I didn't think it was too bad for the 1st one.

I just have one issue and that's my sit bones are in pain. I can't even sit on the bike at the moment. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my set up, or perhaps my saddle?

It's a brand new bike. I think I may of got a slightly bigger size frame than I should of done but I can't do anything about that now.
I thought it was fine, rode it outside and then someone said I should have more clearance between my crotch and the top tube. The size is ok everywhere else though.

Kajjal

Guru
When first cycling again there will likely be some discomfort as the body adjusts but not really pain. A couple of quick checks are make sure your saddle isn’t too high and look up measuring your sit bones to get the correct size saddle. Being 2m tall I need a wider saddle or get pain after about an hour. With the correct saddle fine for hours. Also wearing proper cycling shorts helps but won’t compensate for the wrong saddle etc. Probably worth trying a few rides to be sure.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, completely normal, keep at it and your behind will toughen up. Padded shorts help.
What sort of bike is it? Clearance to the TT doesn’t matter really, just be mindful if you stand astride the bike (personally I barely ever do and it’s not a problem as I’m long legged)

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
Ah thanks guys. Nice to know it's a normal experience for new cyclists. I'm going to be investing in some padded shorts I think. Jeans aren't great riding clothes haha.

And it's a gravel bike, vickster. You probably don't remember now but you helped me with finding it online. It's the Merlin malt g2p tiagra. Its a nice bike for the price, great to ride compared to bikes I've owned when I was younger.

vickster

Legendary Member
Jeans aren’t the best for long rides, they can chafe. When you get padded shorts, don’t wear underwear with them (you can wear under your jeans if you wish of course).
My behind would not survive 8 miles in jeans and I do a lot of cycling on the right sized bikes and saddles.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some peoples arses feel as if they've taken a right good kicking until they get used to saddle time. Keep up the riding and it will get better.
Though if it does continues for a long period then it may be time to investigate different saddles.

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
Yeah I think I'll wear them underneath tracksuit bottoms. I'm not a fan of my legs. I can stand flat footed over the bike so if it's too big it's only by a couple cm. I can't imagine that affecting the saddle soreness more than say, the bike being set up properly or wearing jeans. I'll have to try and find a place that lets you try saddles first.

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
Some peoples arses feel as if they've taken a right good kicking until they get used to saddle time. Keep up the riding and it will get better.
Though if it does continues for a long period then it may be time to investigate different saddles.
Haha yeah that's how I feel. Like someone has been booting me up the backside for hours.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Haha yeah that's how I feel. Like someone has been booting me up the backside for hours.
Yep I think we've all been there.
Get some decent padded shorts first, see how you get on with the saddle then before going down the new saddle route.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Completely normal for many people. I had a forced hiatus of a few years a while back, my first ride out after that and my sit bones were so sore for 2 days. And that ride was only about 5 miles.
Don't worry, the sit bones get used to it very quickly and you'll be perfectly fine. You've done the hardest one, it won't be that sore again.

Yeah I think I'll wear them underneath tracksuit bottoms. I'm not a fan of my legs. I can stand flat footed over the bike so if it's too big it's only by a couple cm. I can't imagine that affecting the saddle soreness more than say, the bike being set up properly or wearing jeans. I'll have to try and find a place that lets you try saddles first.
If it continues maybe consider a saddle change? Suspect the Merlin has a cheapo saddle, although doesn't always = uncomfortable! I just got a Nukeproof one for 20 odd quid and instantly comfy
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nukeproof-...fXQjHUoPekkpYvB1tpHryT32VgfpYPdYaArEFEALw_wcB

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
My first ride was on road as I went with a friend who only has a road bike. Probably a good job really. I think I'll leave off road until I get a tougher behind.

Well at least I know where the issues lie now. Inexperience, rubbish choice of clothing and a cheap saddle. Nice to know it's gets easier anyway.
Think I may have a trip to a bike shop tomorrow and look for some shorts. Might as well starting making it easier on me as soon as possible.

Padded (under shorts) for starters, and, perseverance! Enjoy you new bike ;)
and thanks, enjoyed the first ride but it was tough for me. Time to give up smoking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom