1st Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
I'm new to road bikes and looking to get back into cycling. Having looked around a bit at different bikes. i have come to the idea of spending a bit more and getting a good bike that i can work on improving as i do. I don't want to get something and then feel i really should have gone with something else and paid a bit more money in the 1st place.

I have been looking at Planet X RT-80 SRAM 11 Rival Road Bike Last Love Edition. Called in to the shop as its near me today and tried it out.The guy was helpful and i found out what size bar i need and to go with 10 mm steam. So other than that i am looking to get it as is.

As for the steam i have a question they do one in 6 degree aluminium or one 10 degree alloy stem both for the same price which on is better option.

So good buy for a 1st bike or are they better ones around the same price point ? I am willing to go a bit more if it's worth it.

I know if i get a bike i feel right about i will won't to go out and use it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

As for the stem it depends what size the frame is in relation to you and how far 'arse up nose down' you want to go.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Hey raleighnut

thanks for the reply and welcome

Well it would medium frame size so a 54 i'm 5'9 if that helps ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Make sure you get a 10cm (100mm stem)

Size sounds about right

Sram Rival a top groupset :smile:

Guessing it's hilly around you, so get a good range of gears, the SRAM 50/34, 11-32 set up should get you up most things if you're relatively fit and not extremely heavy

What tyres does it come with, might be worth looking at an upgrade straight off paying the difference.

Also, allow budget for essentials such as a decent mini pump, a track pump, some decent basic tools, inner tubes, lights etc

Last edited:
OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Make sure you get a 10cm (100mm stem)

Size sounds about right

Sram Rival a top groupset :smile:

Guessing it's hilly around you, so get a good range of gears, the SRAM 50/34, 11-32 set up should get you up most things if you're relatively fit and not extremely heavy

What tyres does it come with, might be worth looking at an upgrade straight off paying the difference

Hey thanks Vickster

yes we have one or two hill's near home and plenty once i get out and about i live in Yorkshire after all with the peak district not too fair from me.

I am relatively fit am always on the go and not extremely heavy around 9st 8

As for tyres it comes with Hutchinson Nitro 2 Wired Tyre

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
[QUOTE 5237660, member: 43827"]Neither stem angle is better than the other. It just depends on what is best for your fit.

If it is a brand new bike I would suggest not getting the steerer tube cut to fit for a while, if the shop offers the option.

Experiment with steerer length, using spacers, for a long time until you are satisfied everything is just right for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks User43827 will take your advice.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Hi and welcome

check that 54cm as i find a 54 in planet x frames to small for me at 5ft 10"

Hi and thank you biggs682

Ok i will do guy in the shop said it was ok the bike a tried out felt ok. May sound silly question but can i ask how you'd know it was too small ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome

check that 54cm as i find a 54 in planet x frames to small for me at 5ft 10"
Height isn't everything, just to illustrate one of my best mates is the same height as me (5' 11 and 3/4") but he wears 30" inside leg jeans and I'm 34" inside leg. There's no way Geoff can ride any of my bikes without seriously lowering the saddle height. :eek: :ohmy:

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Height isn't everything, just to illustrate one of my best mates is the same height as me (5' 11 and 3/4") but he wears 30" inside leg jeans and I'm 34" inside leg. There's no way Geoff can ride any of my bikes without seriously lowering the saddle height. :eek: :ohmy:

I see what you mean i am with you now. Once they adjusted the seat a little all felt ok but will have another check though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi and thank you biggs682

Ok i will do guy in the shop said it was ok the bike a tried out felt ok. May sound silly question but can i ask how you'd know it was too small ?

it might be just me but the pro carbon i had i fitted a 120 mm stem with a 6 degree tilt i found that it was still a bit short along the top tube and i needed a good 8" - 10" of seat post out and pushed the saddle right back

Top Bottom