1st time in ages…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've taken the car into work. trying not to let the small cold i've got turn into something bigger, and the wind and rain made the decision easier.

missing that feeling you get after a bike ride, and hoping this bloody cold gets better by tomorrow :evil:

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
i've taken the car into work. trying not to let the small cold i've got turn into something bigger, and the wind and rain made the decision easier.

missing that feeling you get after a bike ride, and hoping this bloody cold gets better by tomorrow :ohmy:

Pity, it's
Unusual for
Something like a little
Spring rain and breeze to stop
You cycling Alex.

:evil::angry:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I'd
Never
Do that.
Ever. Well, if it's really 'orrible out I may
Elect to take the car, assuming that my Wife
Doesn't need it, and it's gale force winds...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Yes,
Obviously it's
Usually better to let a small

Cold subside rather than letting it get
Out of hand. But
When do you consider it to be
A bit too big, and assume that the car journer and the associated
Rest will be of any benefit rather than any
Detriment to your fitness?

:sad::biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
never let weather stop me ever, as posted, otherwise you start getting picky, and it's almost always not as bad as you think

today wasn't, not down here anyway

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
My Wife expressed surprise when I got kitted up to go on the bike - citing that 'it's pishing it down out there and really windy!!'... I found it to be a rather pleasant commute in (apart from the headwind when I rounded one corner for a long incline!).

domtyler

Über Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Yes,
Obviously it's
Usually better to let a small

Cold subside rather than letting it get
Out of hand. But
When do you consider it to be
A bit too big, and assume that the car journer and the associated
Rest will be of any benefit rather than any
Detriment to your fitness?

:biggrin::biggrin:

:sad: Superb! :biggrin:

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
wind and rain are never, on their own, anything to keep me from the commute, or even club run. but i know for a fact that if i ride on a small cold, it has a nasty habit of turning to man-flu, which keeps me off the bike for even longer. so i'm sacrificing 10 miles so as not to miss 60 odd.

monnet

Guru
I'm with Al on this one.

Sean Kelly, now there was a hard man if ever there was, he used to say (and probably still does) 'a day on the bike with a cold means 10 days off later in the year.'

I soldiered on in December with a cold that should have seen me in the car for a couple of days. Start of January it had morphed into laryngitis, pharingitis and man flu. Result: 7 working days off work and a total of 2 and a half weeks off the bike. I think a couple of days in the car would've been better for my health, well being and fitness. I was useless when I got back in the saddle.

ChrisKH

Guru
monnet said:
I'm with Al on this one.

Sean Kelly, now there was a hard man if ever there was, he used to say (and probably still does) 'a day on the bike with a cold means 10 days off later in the year.'

I soldiered on in December with a cold that should have seen me in the car for a couple of days. Start of January it had morphed into laryngitis, pharingitis and man flu. Result: 7 working days off work and a total of 2 and a half weeks off the bike. I think a couple of days in the car would've been better for my health, well being and fitness. I was useless when I got back in the saddle.

Yes, but Sean Kelly was out on the razor (as they say) a lot of the time and his heightened level of fitness, bordering on anorexia, would have depressed his immune system making a cold a lot more than just a cold. They had a lot more riding on it.

monnet

Guru
Yes, but I'm still blaming the voracity of my illness on not having the sense to know when I should leave the bike at home.

Besides, me aside, Al says no-one has ever compared him to King Kelly (the only person to do it for me is, well, er..me) so I'm sticking to the comparison as it makes me feel good.

Tynan

Veteran
why would cycling make a cold worse? I can understand an athlete really pushing themselves affecting their body's resources to fight it but someone commuting?

I started taking a daily decent quality multi vitamin ten odd years ago and was and still am amazed out it stopped me getting coughs and colds almost at once, the very few times I've run out and not got more I go back to getting colds and coughs again, no brainer for me

Top Bottom