1st visitor to chiropractor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have had a problem with my knee for getting on for a year now. I thought it was runners knee and it would pass if I rested it, did the stretches and exercises, took anti inflammatories, took glycosamine. Nothing really worked. It would start to feel ok, but as soon as I started any proper training, it would start to hurt again. So, I bit the bullet and visited a chiropractor. It was not what I expected. In the past, I've been to see physiotherapists, usually about the same knee. They would usually give me some sports massage then some ultrasound, microwave my leg and prescribe me some exercises. It would work, but I'd eventually get fed up doing the exercises and about a year later I'd be back. This got on my nerves, because with repeat visits, it would cost me about £300 each time. This time was different. It was only the initial visit for diagnosis. She twisted me around and felt me up. Quite enjoyable really.

tjw_78

+1 for Chiro. Done great things keep my back working for the past decade (after Rugby did its best to ruin it). BUT, Chiros are very much some and some. I've only ever found 1 really good one (and kept going back to him, despite moving around the country and trying other, local chiros). Well placed for you in Reading - he is in Henley.

lulubel

Über Member
Yes, there are good chiropractors and not so good ones. The first one I used when we came to Spain (when I was getting back pain when I ran) was brilliant. She was also qualified in sports physio and massage, and she used a combination of techniques to fix the imbalances that were pulling my spine out of alignment, while I continued to train for my first marathon.

Sadly, I now live over 2 hours drive from where she's based, and I haven't found anyone I get on with locally.

screenman

Legendary Member
Bit like driving instructors, once they get yoy through the test they have lost a customer and the income that goes with it.

Get a good physio, chiro, osteo etc. and you are lucky.

subaqua

What’s the point
Bit like driving instructors, once they get yoy through the test they have lost a customer and the income that goes with it.

Get a good physio, chiro, osteo etc. and you are lucky.
a good chiro will advise that you have a "maintenance treatment" at least every 6months.

there are some who think chiros are snake oil salesmen, and i have no doubt there are some who make wild claims about what they can "cure" . for me simple fact is i went to se one as a sceptic/non beleiver until he told me what was wrong and where it hurt the most and when it hurt within 10 minutes of me being there and starting to examine me. I go once a month for an adjustment and it works. knees and shoulders are less painfull than they were when i started going. I have also noticed the heels on my shoes wear more evenly now as i had a "wonky walk" . I haven't consciuosly changed the way i walk but i must walk differently .

haven't needed to take pain kilers for a long time now, and pain killers for aching backs/joints is a bit like putting a plaster over the flashing oil light in the car . it just hides the problem for a bit.

screenman

Legendary Member
subaqua, I do not disagree with a lot what you have posted. Some people may benefit quite a lot from just having a good regular stretching routine. I hope you understood my point about the driving instructor.

subaqua

What’s the point
subaqua, I do not disagree with a lot what you have posted. Some people may benefit quite a lot from just having a good regular stretching routine. I hope you understood my point about the driving instructor.

yes i got the point, and my reply also works for driving too. A good instructor will advise you to do motorway driving lessons etc so the income stream doesn't dry up completely. Its all about selling yourself ( Fnaar Fnaar :smile: ) properly.

one of my previous employers used to write to the owners of the houses we wired on new build developments about 10 years later . put a nice letter that said the IEE recommend testing every 10 years and it is 10 years since the house was built. a fair amount of work came out of it with extra sockets and alterations.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but the treatment seems to be having some effect.

Top Bottom