2.0L Diesel recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm in the market for a new car; £5k budget. Would like a 2.0 Diesel under £130 road tax. I very much like the saloons but a hatchback would be acceptable (don't need an estate though).

So far the front runners are:

BWM 3 series
BMW 118d (though the boot looks a little small, even when compared to my Fiesta)
Audi A3/4
Skoda Octavia 1.9D (but hardly any in my area)

I can't find any with less than 100,000 miles though for under 4 or 5 grand. Anyone owned one and can comment on running costs, price of parts, reliability etc?

Thanks,

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i have a vauxhall insignia - 2.2l diesel....£30 tax, but it is the estate version and its like a workhorse. Got plenty of bootroom to carry the bike and for garden and building materials

its got 104k on the clock now, i have had it 4yrs, bought it for 9k with 78k on the clock....so only done 26k in 4yrs and less than 1k miles in the last 18 mths...

i wont be changing it anytime soon

Venod

Eh up
Anyone owned one and can comment on running costs, price of parts, reliability etc?

We had an Audi A1 Sport and an A3 sport with 2.0 Diesel, I liked both cars, good on economy and lively, the A3 of course was more practical because of its size, the A1 was fault free, the A3 had an intermittent alarm problem linked to the front passenger door which I never did pin down.
Both had the particle filter light come on, but a blast down the motorway cleared them, not a problem if doing a lot of decent runs.

Drago

Legendary Member
Be cautuous with the BMW unit. It's a chain camtrain, and not designed to ever be replaced, so the design takes no account of serviving or replacing the chain and gives no access to do so. As such its an engine out job when it gives trouble in 1 and 3 series cars, and they are prone to giving trouble, and your budget puts you right in the age and model tange affected.

Indeed, thats a general problem all round. Your budget puts you smack in the territory where DPF's, DMFs, etc are coming up due for replacement, and hogh oressure pumps and injectors may be starting to get tired, so you're going to have your work cut out finding one that won't need some serious lolly spending in the near future.

Its your call of course, but id be inclined to spend a bit more and get something a bit younger/lower mileage that has a way to get yet before such expenses crop up. If thats absolutely impossible then id personally look at petrol models, liable to be a fair bit cheaper ownership proposition in the long run at that age and budget.

Whichever way, the best of luck Sir.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Do you like the wind in your hair?

How about a Fordson Dexta? 2.4 litres but only 3 cylinders!

Cheap runabout and instantly familiar to a cyclist who will be in tune with the open cockpit and with their surroundings.

s-l1600.jpg

Only £4150. Full advert here

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably you’ll be paying a premium for Audi or BMW?
Maybe a Passat?
or something French for better value in a stinky diesel? Or a Nissan which is essentially a Renault?

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Lot's of crap being touted for £3-5k currently due to vehicle shortages. I'd sit it out if you have time.

Drago is right to be wary of 100k diesel cars, as that is the time the big ticket items start showing wear.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
i have a vauxhall insignia - 2.2l diesel....£30 tax, but it is the estate version and its like a workhorse. Got plenty of bootroom to carry the bike and for garden and building materials

its got 104k on the clock now, i have had it 4yrs, bought it for 9k with 78k on the clock....so only done 26k in 4yrs and less than 1k miles in the last 18 mths...

i wont be changing it anytime soon

They are described as boring, but dead reliable from what I've heard - I actually like the look of the Estate. Not changing my 20 year old boring Nissan either.

fossyant

Just be wary at the moment as second hand prices are a premium.

fossyant

Be cautuous with the BMW unit. It's a chain camtrain, and not designed to ever be replaced,

This is where asking is useful. We've had Nissans and Toyota's with cam chains, designed for the life of the car, never a known issue on the engines we've had - I'd pick a cam chain over a belt anyday, but that's from experience.

I'd check what it costs to replace a 'cam belt'. Dealer wanted £550 for my sons car, local garage, using OEM parts, £250

vickster

Legendary Member
This is where asking is useful. We've had Nissans and Toyota's with cam chains, designed for the life of the car, never a known issue on the engines we've had - I'd pick a cam chain over a belt anyday, but that's from experience.

I'd check what it costs to replace a 'cam belt'. Dealer wanted £550 for my sons car, local garage, using OEM parts, £250
My Fabia has a chain :okay: (the fancy waterpump was very expensive to replace recently though!)

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Some very helpful points thanks. I am not willing to spend nearly all my savings on a lower mileage car, so i will keep a look out for non-German varieties. I want a diesel becasue it suits the way I drive, and I prefer the low down torque to revving the nuts off my Fiesta on sliproads! Plus I want a comfortable saloon for when we drive up to Penrith. So I think I will maybe hold off until after Christmas. There have been some lower mileage Passats coming up and I like them, so will wait and see.

Warm regards

Adam4868

Guru
Honda...maybe Accord ? I've a older 2.2 diesel with 170,000 miles on not a bother.
As Fossy said,I'd choose a cam chain over a rubber band/belt anyday.But I'm no expert with newer cars.Im not sold on engine management lights....
I've had Nissan engined vehicles that have done over 800,000 miles.The 2.7 engine was almost indestructible ! The vehicle/bodywork fell apart around the engine ☹️

Top Bottom